Protein shakes!?

Options
2»

Replies

• doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake within 15 minutes AFTER my workout. They say this helps repair muscle, and it takes away some of the soreness after. (this is true)

I would say if your low on protein and working out, then I would say yes it is a good idea to mix in a protein shake.

Good luck!
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have them afterwards.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The post workout "window of opportunity" is bunk. Just one of those myths that lingers on and on. If you need to supplement protein It does not really matter when you take it. You should be trying to eat protein throughout the day.

Just do a google search for "post workout window myth" and read to decide for yourself though.

Here is one to get you started.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths
  • bmac1996acc
    Options
    My trainer said after workout and if you drink them before it is just a waste but she also said that you can drink them as a snack. She also said that you should eat within an hour of exercising and have the protein shake within the first half an hour after exercise preferably the first 10-15mins after (she did say why but I cant remember that bit)

I'd find a new trainer. Whey protein is full of BCAA's which help prevent muscle protein breakdown and maintain stores of glycogen in the muscles to give you enough energy to get through your workout. Post workout is important for recovery too and a Hydrolyzed whey protein plus carbs will be best. A slowly digested protein blend before bed will feed your muscle growth overnight.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I drink them after working out and whenever else I want.

Ya...this is what I do..
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Right after a work out and as a late-night snack.
  • marulop14
    marulop14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We drink it after workouts