Should we get rid of cash?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
I listen to talk radio alot and recently on a show I listened to an author speaking about abolishing cash and the advantages and disadvantages to it.
A couple of advantages would be that banks can't get physically robbed if paper money no longer existed and counterfeiting would halt altogether saving many merchants from losing merchandise to counterfeits.
But a couple of disadvantages would be issues with tipping (like a cab driver or bellman) and emergency use of cash incase you lost a credit or debit card.

So what are your opinions?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. I try to use cash as little as possible.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I never ever ever ever use cash. Haven't in years. I'm all for it. I think it's dirty, filthy, and stupid.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i don't want to go to a strip club and slip checks in the girls cleavage. lol.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I listen to talk radio alot and recently on a show I listened to an author speaking about abolishing cash and the advantages and disadvantages to it.
    A couple of advantages would be that banks can't get physically robbed if paper money no longer existed and counterfeiting would halt altogether saving many merchants from losing merchandise to counterfeits.
    But a couple of disadvantages would be issues with tipping (like a cab driver or bellman) and emergency use of cash incase you lost a credit or debit card.

So what are your opinions?

Have you seen the movie In Time?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any cash they'd like to get rid of, I would be willing to provide my mailing address.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

They have a slot for swiping your atm card.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    oh so that's what that slot is for! i didn't know that.
  • oddree80
    oddree80 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer to your question but I tend to use my debit card more than anything.

I'm just going to post a fun fact for you.

Did you know that it cost 11 cents to make each penny?
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    I don't really have an answer to your question but I tend to use my debit card more than anything.

those metals have risen that much? I thought it was around 2.1?

for 11 cents maybe you mean a nickel that would be more comparative for the value of nickel and copper
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you're certified in fitness areas so that you appear more credible when posting about this subject matter. :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oh so that's what that slot is for! i didn't know that.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm glad to see you're certified in fitness areas so that you appear more credible when posting about this subject matter. :drinker:
    I'm just showing you I'm not as dumb as most people think us meat heads think we are!

IDEA Fitness member
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

They have a slot for swiping your atm card.

Hehe! Yeah we do...
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options

hahaha I've never actually read his signature until now...I've been around a lot longer than my current screen name says. I too am glad to know that this is coming from a certified fitness instructor.

About the cash...the only thing is that when technology fails you may need cash. I've been working when our machines went down before and it was a huge pain in the *kitten*.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    The gov't can't write up a budget as is...worst idea ever.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

for 11 cents maybe you mean a nickel that would be more comparative for the value of nickel and copper

It's not just the cost of metal. It's the cost of running the machines @ the mint and paying the employees, etc. It's also the blatant unconstitutional inflation the fed tacks on just so the fat cats can sit back and cackle at the rest of us while their bank accounts expand exponentially. But that's another story for another day. ;p
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I'm just showing you I'm not as dumb as most people think us meat heads think we are!

IDEA Fitness member

In the words of Inigo Montoya - I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options

It's not just the cost of metal. It's the cost of running the machines @ the mint and paying the employees, etc. It's also the blatant unconstitutional inflation the fed tacks on just so the fat cats can sit back and cackle at the rest of us while their bank accounts expand exponentially. But that's another story for another day. ;p
    I know there is other costs involved aswell , I just did a rough calcualtion from market prices ;as the figure I saw looked quite different from one I had seen recently
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea. We would be giving up more of our privacy.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Lets go back to the barter system, i have 2 goats for ur one wife SOLD, see that was easy