Do You Think 5'5 120 Pounds Is A Good Goal Weight?

Options

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 4-pack... you don't choose a goal weight. You choose a goal body fat percentage.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 4-pack... you don't choose a goal weight. You choose a goal body fat percentage.

Ahh, well, I hate the Doctor's so I don't think I'll ever find out the real percentage. :indifferent:
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ^Agree^
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's no such thing as toning. in order to look like you have muscular definition, you need to build muscle by lifting heavy weights. losing fat won't help if you have no muscles developed underneath.

as for the weight, it depends on your build and body type. for instance i'm also 5'5 but i'm fairly muscular so 120 would be way unhealthy for me. for instance when i got my body fat tested, it turns out 134 pounds of my body is just lean tissue (skeleton, nerves, organs, muscle, etc). so unless i lose a lot of muscle and cut out some organs and limbs, weighing less than 155 would probably make me run into the unhealthy range.
    RE: Toning vs building muscle
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/toning.htm
    It's a game of rhetoric. I think most people understand what I'm saying. But thanks mom.
    you're welcome, hon. now eat your vegetables
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    Every body is different. Bone structure makes a big contribution to someone's overall weight and appearance. I'm slightly taller than 5'6'' and my goal weight is 120 lbs, maybe even 115 - 118 lbs. I look better that small, however someone else at the same height as me who has a different bone structure may look too thin.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly that- 5'5 and 120, but i am a very narrow build, any heavier and my stomach looks pregnant. And I'm not underweight- I have somewhere around 25-30% body fat. UK size 10 (US 6??)

I'm trying to exchange my fat for muscle with weight training, it's going well, I recommend it.

I wouldn't make a goal of your final weight, I'd make a goal of clothes size/measurements, because when you start building muscle you will shrink in all the right places but not see much loss on the scale. THIS IS A GOOD THING!!

Good luck!
  • Angelam_02
    Angelam_02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 120 -115 is my goal as well.I have been 115 before and I loved it! I guess it does depend on your build though.I have a big booty and no boobs so mine all evens out I guess...just gotta loose those thunder thighs and a little butt would be nice =)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you are "thin-ish" and looking to tone muscle, then you need to stop thinking about weight and start looking at body fat percentage. If you are looking to tone muscle, you MAY actually GAIN weight.

Weight on the scale is a reasonable measurement for people looking to lose a significant amount of fat. If you don't have a significant amount of fat to lose, then weight on the scale is very deceptive.
  • tcortez3
    tcortez3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 but I have been doing Crossfit for almost a year so I have muscle. I used to be 120 when I was in college but I wasn't nearly as toned as I am not. I am aiming to reach/stay at 135 and just burn off this excessive body fat so you can see the muscles. I think as we get older, we have to adjust our expectations of body weight and appearance because the way we look at 16 or 19 is not necessarily the same body we have in our 20s, 30s, etc. I am glad that I have filled out a little more because I was tiny all through high school and part of college.

I agree with what most folks are saying. Rather than focusing on weight loss at this point, focus on muscle and things will start to fill out in diff ways that are positive. Good luck!

14501852.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When i was in my 20s, 127 was about the right weight for me, and i'm 5'4". It's going to depend on your individual build if 120 is too thin - for me, i'd look terrible at 115, which would be the equivalent. But i have heavy, heavy bones, and i tend to broad shoulders and bigger legs. Now that i'm in my 40s, i am shooting for 135-140 as my target weight. But it's more about the bodyfat for me, too - i'm looking for 20%, and since i'm muscular, that might put me over 140. But that's okay, because at 156 right now, i'm wearing a size 6. :D
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    For my body (which is a large 5'5" frame) I know that 120 would be way too thin. I'm personally aiming for 150 right now even though I know that's bordering right on the line between being healthy and being overweight. I figure once I get there I can re-evaluate to see if I want to weigh less or if I just need to look trimmer through more weightlifting.

It's only borderline if you don't know your true body fat (I'm not saying you don't, but a standard BMI scale doesn't take into consideration anything but height, weight and age). I weigh 158 right now (actually probably more like 156, but I am on vacation and don't have a scale to weigh on) at 5'5". My goal weight is 145, though in the last three months, I haven't lost much weight, but I've dropped almost two full sizes (from a 14 to a 10) and I have dropped a lot of inches. According to the standard BMI scale, I am still overweight and won't be in the normal range until I am under 150. I am pretty sure my BMI is actually under 25%.

I agree that weight lifting/strength training is the way to go. OP, you may decide that you want to actually weigh more than you do now once you really start getting some muscles.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've been many different weights/sizes...I am also 5'5", medium framed. I think if you have a small frame 120 is good, I know personally for me anything under 125 looks 'sickly' on me. So i think it really depends on how you carry your weight and your frame. :)
  • btnyegurl
    btnyegurl Posts: 27
    Options
    I have a large frame and according to charts, anything under 150 would be pushing it for me but I definitely think that it depends on how you carry you're weight.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    No not at all, I'm 5"6 and aiming for 115lbs (well aiming for uk size 8 and will stop when i get there whatever the scale says!). That's at the low end of our "healthy weight" range so not too slim at all. Just focus on strength training to sculpt your body shape as others above have said and you will probably find that achieves your goal quicker than actual dieting :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You could look at a BMI chart and find what weights are in the "healthy range" but I know the BMI chart is kind of nonsense because it doesn't take into account muscle vs fat and also a persons frame or build.

Once you get around a good weight, you should focus more on building muscle and pay more attention to how you look than what it says on the scale. JMO of course. I'm at a good weight now and I haven't even stepped on the scale in a week. Just don't care that much anymore lol.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im 5'5 and was 115 while in recovery for an eating disorder. as long as you are doing it healthy, i dont think it should be a big problem. but watch yourself :] judging by your recent post on the "eating more" thread, i really hope you have the right information at your finger tips. do not try to burn more calories then you eat, and watch your net calories :]

You would have a BMI of 19.97. 18.5 is underweight.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my goal is 120 also! I weighed 118 last summer but gained 10lbs due to poor eating habits. I felt awesome at 120lbs! SO ready to feel that way again! good luck!
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 112 lbs, I don't think I look too thin at all (I weight lift), so 120 would be a great weight I think. It probably all depends on how your body is.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    To tone up my lose skin around my stomach, wouldn't I have to lose more weight to do that? And does anyone know the best exercises for toning up lose skin around the stomach after weight loss?
    You don't need to lose anymore weight. Focus on doing ab and core work. Cut out the junk food and soda. Drink lots of water. Do some cardio.

A few Youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUFqkWSve8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9bVmVL7FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMptxZv4hQ
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, how you're built makes a big difference. I know someone who has eating disorders and maintains about 125 at 5'5''. She does not look healthy. It really depends on how you do it. I know women my height (5'3'') who weigh 20 pounds more than I do (I'm 104) and look a hell of a lot thinner. Just, you know, don't be skinny fat. It just doesn't look good. I would know--I'm working on not being like that.