Fiance's wasting money....

I payed a family membership at the local YMCA for the entire family:self, 3 kids and fiance. Well, we all know that doesn't come cheap, yet I didn't want a monthly bill (have enough of them already). My fiance hasn't been to the gym in like, 2 weeks, but I didn't say anything because he just started a new job working nights, so I wanted to give him time to adjust. After I paid the membership, I gave him a "friendly reminder" that he needs to kick it into gear, so to speak. Needless to say, he caught an attitude. What should I do? I can't stand the thought of money going to waste for a person that isn't capitalizing on it. But I'm not the only one who could benefit from a gym membership, my whole family will, especially him, he not getting any younger.

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Personally I wouldn't say anything. You can't make a person want to workout and get into shape, they have to want to do it. Just set a good example and hope that he steps up and does what he needs to. If you are concerned about the money, there are so many options besides a gym membership.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Is it possible to downgrade to a single membership until your family decides to re-join you?
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Ditto

Membership is not going to make or break you. I was once told during my divorce by a lawyer "Money isnt everything". Live by that and everything will workout (esp. your fiance)

good luck,

A message from the wise!!

Personally I wouldn't say anything. You can't make a person want to workout and get into shape, they have to want to do it. Just set a good example and hope that he steps up and does what he needs to. If you are concerned about the money, there are so many options besides a gym membership.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    It's only been 2 weeks. Give the guy some time to adjust to his night job and don't nag him.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Getting on his case about it is just going to make him resent you and the whole situation. Back up and stop bugging him about it. If he wants to go, then he will go. Nothing you say is going to change this... but it might push him further away.

Did he WANT the membership? Did he WANT to go? Did he have a say in it?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    (double post... MFP was acting stupid)
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Yeah... same here. lol My boyfriend hasn't gone back to the gym since the first week we got the membership at the beginning of January...and we're paying a *kitten* ton a month! lol Oh well. His money, not mine.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    i was thinking about doing that.
  • leaso75581
    lol
  • leaso75581
    you're right...i'm backing down. But to answer your question, yes he did ask me to sign the family back up.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    If he starts going it isn't going to cost you any less so what difference does it make?