Healthy budget friendly meals for 6 with 4 teenagers??

Options
Hi all! Gotta question....we get paid MONTHLY :sad: and I would like to know of some ideas/recipes/menus to feed my growing teenagers on a STRICT BUDGET .As an example... we usually go through 1 gal milk per day, 2 loaves of bread and peanut butter is gone in about 3. My kids are lean and healthy and very active...with that comes their appetite!:noway: People cannot believe how much they consume and are so thin...I used to be like that until I stopped exercise and watching what I ate. {but, I WILL be back to 115!!} Thank you for your help in this issue! You guys are THE BEST!!!:drinker:

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We have a pretty strict budget as well but I feel that we eat pretty well. My kids are younger (8, 6, 3 and 5 months) although my 6 year old eats more than DH and I. I try to stretch meat and make homemade soupsquite often. In addition to finding good recipes, shopping wisely is important. I usually shop at Aldi first and load up on the basics there then go to Walmart for the rest of my groceries. Those are the cheapest stores here. I also buy bread products at a bread outlet (although I know those aren't available everywhere) because they are much cheaper than the other stores. Stock up on items when they are on sale and use coupons if you have them. I spend $100 per week on groceries and usually that includes other items from walmart as well (diapers, wipes, cleaning products, etc).
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Our local grocery store, Sweet Bay (I think it is the Hannaford chain elsewhere) has recipes for meals under $10. They may have the recipes online and you could adjust ingredients or get them from a less expensive store to save a little more. I do some price comparisons online and see what is buy one get one free. Get whatever you can from the club stores. It costs more upfront, but lasts longer. Maybe even enlist the kids to help you grow veggies at home.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying and for the ideas!:flowerforyou:
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I always price match. Find the cheapest prices in the ads on the computer and match it at walmart. Just make a list with the price and tell the cashier. It's very easy. You might think about investing in a bread machine. It will cost much less to make it and the machine does all the work. I've been looking into getting one. Aldi often has milk for 1.99 a gallon, which you can price match at walmart. They don't even need it in the ad for the milk, if it's at the store that price then they match it, at least at mine they do. Buy the meat as it's closer to the sell by date and it's normally marked down a bit, then you can freeze some too. I mix my taco meat with a can of black beans, can of diced tomatoes with chilies and diced onion. So it goes further with less meat and healthier too. I don't buy juice at my house. My kids drink water and milk. More water than milk. Sometimes we have tea, it's cheap. Stock up on things when you find a good price. Shop aldi when you can. I've got my husband and i and 1 teenager and 10 and 6 and 5 year olds. I'm amazed already how much they can eat so i can't yet imagine where you are at.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I always price match. Find the cheapest prices in the ads on the computer and match it at walmart. Just make a list with the price and tell the cashier. It's very easy. You might think about investing in a bread machine. It will cost much less to make it and the machine does all the work. I've been looking into getting one. Aldi often has milk for 1.99 a gallon, which you can price match at walmart. They don't even need it in the ad for the milk, if it's at the store that price then they match it, at least at mine they do. Buy the meat as it's closer to the sell by date and it's normally marked down a bit, then you can freeze some too. I mix my taco meat with a can of black beans, can of diced tomatoes with chilies and diced onion. So it goes further with less meat and healthier too. I don't buy juice at my house. My kids drink water and milk. More water than milk. Sometimes we have tea, it's cheap. Stock up on things when you find a good price. Shop aldi when you can. I've got my husband and i and 1 teenager and 10 and 6 and 5 year olds. I'm amazed already how much they can eat so i can't yet imagine where you are at.

wow, great advice, thanks:)
  • TheDreadedJynx
    Options
    Buy meat in bulk when it's on sale, separate and freeze it. Make meals in a large crock pot. Chili is wonderful! Fill it with tomatoes, beans, rice, peppers, meat, spices; pretty much anything yummy to make a lasting, filling meal. I love chili. Ha.