True or False? You may be surprised at answers...........

Options
2»

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Had no idea about the tomatoes either.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Only 2 wrong! yay me =)
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "9. Which is more nutritious — fresh or canned tomatoes? "

I have to disagree with your conclusion here. From June to September (sometimes longer) I grow my own tomatoes. If you don't grow, go to the local farmers market and buy locally grown. They are fresh fresh fresh and not cooked. When you "can" anything you are killing enzymes that break down fat, carbohydrate, and protein into their basic building blocks so that the body can digest and use them.

Also, cans are lined with plastics, and they leach into the contents. We all know that cancer is a big problem in modern society!. They don't' have that on the nutrition label!

Also, I my opinion is that whole milk is better for you than skim because it has good fat.

Overall, good info.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Got question 1 wrong but I'm calling a do-over becuase the question doesn't state whether its lean red meat or not, but the answer does, not fair.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Got #6 wrong and I was iffy on #4 (couldn't decide between raisins or chocolate). Got all the rest right though yay.

I have to take a bit of issue with #9 - it's a very narrow focused "nutritionism" stance. Sure they have more micronutrients in canned toms but they usually have big dose of sodium and a bunch of other lab sourced junk too. Nothing will ever convince me that something someone sent through a factory and packaged into BPA lined tins will be better for you than something right off the vine.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The only reason I got the tomato one right is because I had read somewhere that cooked tomatoes have more lypocene which is a great anti-oxident.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with your conclusion here. From June to September (sometimes longer) I grow my own tomatoes. If you don't grow, go to the local farmers market and buy locally grown. They are fresh fresh fresh and not cooked. When you "can" anything you are killing enzymes that break down fat, carbohydrate, and protein into their basic building blocks so that the body can digest and use them.

Also, cans are lined with plastics, and they leach into the contents. We all know that cancer is a big problem in modern society!. They don't' have that on the nutrition label!

Also, I my opinion is that whole milk is better for you than skim because it has good fat.

Overall, good info.

I can't for the life of me think of what enzymes intrinsic to tomatoes are needed from tomatoes to digest them. Digestion.....no. Metabolism...by the time you get to this point...they are no longer tomatoes....so vitamins and enzymes made by the body to drive the Krebs Cycle/Citric Acid Cycle yes.

Can you expand on the enzymes statement?

Also....I knew that BPA in store bought cans mimics estrogen....and a number of things can come of that (men....check your breasts). Can you provide any references that BPA causes cancer? I'm very interested because I'm eliminating store bought canned foods (I can in glass jars with only a small lid that is plasticized) and if this is true...I should accelerate my effort to get off the BPA lined stuff.

Thanks!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    #6 is wrong...scientific evidence aside, I have been using 8oz. cranberry juice 2x a day to cure UTIs for quite some time...it works faster than antibiotics...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I got them all right. :happy: (I was a little iffy on the wine since the original question said nothing about amount)
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    so #7 is wrong, skimming removes vitamins A and D, therefore less nutritious?
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Questions number one and two can be answered both ways, depending on the specifics of the diet, as well as the individuals health history. Not to mention of course, the bias of the source. To say absolutely that there is a true or false answer to these questions is misleading at best.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    #6 is wrong...scientific evidence aside, I have been using 8oz. cranberry juice 2x a day to cure UTIs for quite some time...it works faster than antibiotics...

That (and the canned vs. fresh tomatoes) are the two I missed. I do the same. When I feel that first nudge of a UTI coming on, off to the store to by cranberry juice. It works every time. I don't drink it regularly due to the high sugar content so I'm definitely drinking it to cure the UTI not to prevent it.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Overall, good info.

I can't for the life of me think of what enzymes intrinsic to tomatoes are needed from tomatoes to digest them. Digestion.....no. Metabolism...by the time you get to this point...they are no longer tomatoes....so vitamins and enzymes made by the body to drive the Krebs Cycle/Citric Acid Cycle yes.

Can you expand on the enzymes statement?

Also....I knew that BPA in store bought cans mimics estrogen....and a number of things can come of that (men....check your breasts). Can you provide any references that BPA causes cancer? I'm very interested because I'm eliminating store bought canned foods (I can in glass jars with only a small lid that is plasticized) and if this is true...I should accelerate my effort to get off the BPA lined stuff.

Thanks!

callmeBAM.....I found a whole bunch of stuff about BPA besides cancer. Most are correlations studies (associated with type statements). Correlations don't prove cause and effect, but they do indicate further study is needed to determine cause and affect. Most studies were on animals (mostly mammals like us) of various types. Most adverse affects were in the womb and as young babies/toddlers (like the lining of baby bottles). Most that found affects were long term exposure, even at low concentrations. I disregarded the studies were massive concentrations were used. Heck....too high a concentration of oxygen can kill you too.

What jumped out at me were the following:
    1.) Prostrate and breast cancer
    2.) Feminization of males, mostly in the womb/early childhood, males less desirable by females in adulthood....etc.
    3.) Epigenetic changes (not DNA itself, but inherited like DNA) that predispose the child and later, its offspring, to obesity.
    4.) the list went on and on

Most chemicals (that is NOT a bad word) we use in industry and food processing have not been test extensively if at all. This is because of a law that says if a new chemical is similar to an already tested chemical, the new chemical doesn't have to be tested. The reality is.....your and I, as consumers, are test subjects. It just may take generations of test subjects, before someone finally realizes the negative consequences of what we accept as safe.

BPA is eliminated from the body rather quickly. However, it is so prevalent in our environment now, that even if you stop using cans lined with BPA, you can't avoid a low, continuous level of exposure (e.g. our water supply). Yep....male wild fish are now being found in relatively high frequency with eggs growing in their testes. I like gadgets....and fish (see my bio, the B.S. in Zoology was because I wanted to be a fisheries biologist).

So....I'm glad you strongly implicated that BPA causes cancer (no cause and affect proof yet)......as I had not done any detail research....so thanks for prompting my interest in knowing more.

On the tomato stuff.....I haven't found anything yet about enzymes in the tomatoes that are essential before we can digest them.....but that may just mean I haven't found that information yet. If you have references I could examine....I'd appreciate it.