How often to rest?

Options
How often should you rest? I have been exercising since Jan.24th, after loosing the 1st 5 pounds nothing, up an oz or 2 down an oz or 2, yesterday I didn't exercise at all just cleaned and I lost 6 oz. when I got up today.

Replies

• MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I'm doing a lifting program and it says to rest every other day.. So that's what I do.. I'm usually too sore to work out more than that anyways :-)
  • angeleyes192
    angeleyes192 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Idealy you should rest every other day for example if you work out on monday rest on tuesday work out on wednesday rest on thursday and so on, this gives the muscles in your body time to repair, it also allows for a bit of confusion, because muscles have a sort of internal memorie if you continuously do the same things it will become routine and then you will not lose any weight. When you exercise you must change up your routine and shock your body this will allow for maximum weight loss. Hope this helps.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    7-8 hours a night and 1 day a week..... ;)

So I take 1 day off a week of the gym.....
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I usually rest 2 days a week and find that I often weigh less the morning after my day of rest. I was just talking to my husband about this the other day. I think when I finally have a rest day, my body is like YEAH, Now I can process all this crap and do some work! :)
  • yorkies2
    yorkies2 Posts: 52
    Options
    So even if I am just doing the treadmill for an hour a day and JM's ripped in 30? No weight lifting?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try varying your routine and working other muscles as more muscles working = more calories used up.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    So even if I am just doing the treadmill for an hour a day and JM's ripped in 30? No weight lifting?

Bump...b/c I rarely take cardio days off..but do rest from weights about every other day....and honestly if I had time to get weights in daily I probably would!

I intend to rest from cardio about once a week but then I feel guilty!! And just do it!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There isn't a straight forward answer. If you use the same body parts, like I do when I run, I run 4 days and rest 3.

However, with strength training, you can train everyday because you can focus on different body parts on different days. So, you can work on chest and back on Monday, legs on Tuesday, Arms and shoulders on Wednesday, Chest and back on Thursday, Legs Friday, and so forth.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I guess if you aren't doing strength training, 1 day a week should be enough
  • jaxboxchick
    Options
    I'm going to the gym today for the 6th day in a row :). I'm going out of town for the weekend and that will be my rest time.