Guilty for Bingeing

Options
Hey everyone - I just started MFP this week and I am really liking it so far! However, last night I had a setback. I couldn't make it to the gym, and I totally went overboard with calories by eating junk food. I didn't even record this on my food diary because I felt so ashamed! This morning I felt bloated and guilty. Does this happen to anyone else, and what do you do to make up for it? Eat less cals the next day? Work out twice as hard? Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    LOL.

Yes, it happens to everyone.

Everyone!

Welcome to the club.

Each day is a new day. Screw yesterday, start over. Eat well today and exercise. All will be swell.
  • mama4loca
    mama4loca Posts: 181
    Options
    Hi...Yes it happens to everyone.But at least you still are on the horse! That's when I screw up- if I eat bad I figure I already messed up the day so I may as well keep eating what i want! Then i get disgusted and start to slowly fall back to my old habits. But that's me.At least you realize what you did and today is a new day. Someone told me " You can't throw out the whole set of china if you break one dish!" True! You will mess up sometimes, just keep going!:wink:
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everyone has these minor setbacks, it's life. At least you don'T have as much junk food around the house. Let it be your reward meal forMarch and try to make up the gym time.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It's okay, lots of people do that. Just don't give up or be too disheartened.

Start again today, and drinks loooooads of water.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    TiltingAtWindmills Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It probably happens to all of us, and I think that as long as it's rare, it's not that big of a deal. Just focus on your successes, log everything once the shame passes, and move forward. I don't do anything "extra" to make up for a slip up, but I do get back to my healthy routine right away and that makes me feel so good.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't this happen to?!

Hello and welcome to the tough rollercoaster that is dieting! Back on the bandwagon, wallow in the guilt and use it as motivation to do better!
  • shcarter67
    Options
    Wow. I just posted the following on my page and then saw your post:

"Yesterday was a really bad day for me diet wise. So bad, that I don't even want to log it. I can't really explain why I completely lost it. Went back to all my old ways of eating - completely out of control. I did well with exercising (actually had a great day with that), but the eating was horrendous. No excuses - just a huge slip. Not going to let it defeat me though - I will not quit this journey based on one really bad day."

Guess we all have rough days sometimes.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hey we have all been there - I would put it in your diary so you can see how your weight loss is affected, and how you feel. That way you learn what you do and how it affects everything. Don't know if your diary is private or not, but it is a way of making you focus and be accountable and honest with yourself.

Put it behind you, think about why you did it, have a plan to do / eat something different if that situation arises next time. And don't don't don't feel guilty, that will make you miserable and feel like eating badly again.

Think big picture / average over a week / do some extra exercise / drink lots of water - and keep logging into MFP :flowerforyou:
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yup! Happened to me yesterday. Just start again. Punishing yourself by under-eating or overexercising will just set you up to be extra hungry and binge again. Drink enough water and plan yourself a great day! Making sure you are getting enough calories on a daily basis will help with the bingeing. Good luck! :drinker:
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    It happens to everybody. Don't let the guilt and shame trip you up.

When I'm having a BAD day (i.e. the day I can't stay away from the junk) that is the day, I'm FANATICAL about logging my food intake. I force myself to do it. Even if it initially hurts.

I write everything I put in my mouth and make notes as to what I was feeling (what triggered the eating, what was the excuse, what was the reasoning, etc). Then I write about how I felt afterwards. I kind of meditate on that, accept the mistake for what it was, forgive myself for putting things in that were bad for my health, and move on.

That way when I'm in the midst of the next BAD day, I have a record of what it felt like before I engage in the behaviors again.

If don't log, it's like it didn't happen. That is an opportunity to learn that I lose/throw away. Hiding from bad days, doesn't give me the chance to forgive and move on; it stays back there, in the dark little box in my brain festering. So I write it all, read it, and read it again the moment I feel another BAD day coming.

But, even if this method is not for you, I would simply tell you to be compassionate with yourself. Take that bad day and make it an example of what not to do the next time around.

Stay strong!
  • josho655321
    josho655321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about not feeling guilty? That always works for me :smile:

Everyone goes over on occasion, the key is to not make it an everyday thing, Good luck! You got this.
  • MelissaMKing
    Options
    Definitely guilty of that, but the worst thing you can do is worry about it or feel too guilty because overthinking it will set you back more than the calories will! :)

Flush it out with lots of water, green tea, positive thinking and a nice workout. Eat clean and tomorrow is another day! :D
  • CleanCarol
    Options
    My motto is always "one meal at a time, one day at a time"

Yesterday is gone. Today is here. Tomorrow is your future. :)
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone, the important thing is not to let it define you. Just get back on the horse and keep going.

Examine what you did and why you did it, then forgive yourself and move on. :flowerforyou:
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Omigoodness - I am so relieved to read this post. You are, clearly, NOT alone!! Totally agree with the advice to move on, don't beat yourself up about it, and maybe get some healthy snacks in so that next time you feel picky, at least you have something OK to pick on :) Sugar free jello is a good one.... carrot sticks... sliced up apples... :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yup! Happened to me yesterday. Just start again. Punishing yourself by under-eating or overexercising will just set you up to be extra hungry and binge again. Drink enough water and plan yourself a great day! Making sure you are getting enough calories on a daily basis will help with the bingeing. Good luck! :drinker:

^^^^^^^
    This exactly. Don't punish yourself. What should you do... carry on! That's it. No punishment. No extreme dieting or exercising... just carry on.
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think that having a food addiction is tougher in some ways then having other addictions(not negating ones who have overcome any addiction). WHY?? Because you cannot simply avoid food. You have to eat for life. So....it takes more wisdom and strength because you have to continue to expose yourself to addictive items.
    If one has ever had a food addiction --it doesn't go away. It is a battle every time you are faced with food. To be aware of what you are eating and to ask yourself "Do I really want/need this?"is necessary. ONly if you are aware of that--will you get to the place you are making mostly good choices for you. You will NEVER reach a point where you are perfect.

"Chin up!! and on with the battle!"
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    Another binge eater here too! You are not alone. Lets face it, if we didn't have some food relationship issues, we wouldn't have weight problems and wouldn't be on here!

Like many others have already said, the first trick is not to feel guilty! It's not ruined all your hard work, it's just a little hiccup and it is best left in the past! Never beat yourself up for being human. Recognising my guilt and setting it aside has helped me make huge steps towards breaking my binge habit. No idea why it helps, it just does!

Again, others have said this too, but I find logging my binge really helps. OK, I feel like crap when I read how many calories I actually ate, but when I look back now I see the pattern of binges. I can see what my triggers are. Mostly it is just boredom, so I plan to do something before the binge attack happens! If you can learn why you binge you are a step closer to understanding how to prevent it in future.

Good luck with MFP!
    Ali
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words!! I feel even more motivated now than I did before, and I picked up some really good advice by reading through the messages. I truly appreciate it! :heart:
  • kathyd0829
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over one day. This is a life style change and one day in the scheme of life will not matter in the long run. Don't look at it as cheating or bingeing, it is just another day in your whole life. As long as you keep your goals in mind, you can achieve anything!!