Benefits of lifting low weight / high reps

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    So for a woman, how light is too light. Are you just referring to light hand weights? If a woman is going in this direction, where should she start to begin heavy lifting? I consider my routine as heavy because at the end of the last rep, I really struggle to complete it.

But if it is the 20th rep it is too light. Your last couple of reps in each set should be difficult to complete with good form and depending on your goals this should be reps 4-6, or at most 10-12. If you can do 12 reps with good form, increase the weight.

And don't feel bad if the weight you need is considered a "light" weight by others. The weight you use will be the one that works for YOU, not someone else :)

I'm a "weakling" just starting again with the weights, so for now I can barely put out 8 reps with a ten pound weight for bicep curls :) But as my strength increases, I will up my weight accordingly :)

It's all about what works you you :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    what would be the benefit of light weights/more reps as opposed to lifting heavy?

You would just be killing time at the gym and not getting any real benefit.

Stick with your original plan and lift heavy.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    well Lizzy Pooh.. as you know I am in training for Figure Competition.. thats EXACTLY what they have me doing.. and I mean HIGH reps.. like 30 -50 depending on the exercise.. It is SUPPOSED to tone/lean.. allow for LONG beautiful muscles. All i know is.. I AM IN PAIN.. I never knew light weights could do this. I would say give it a try.. because I didnt feel this much action when i was lifting heavier... I'm new to it.. so i will update by month's end with before and progress pic..

You can't lengthen muscles. Unless the bones they are attached to get longer. And since you're grown up I doubt that will happen.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    So, what some of you are saying is if you can't lift heavy due to medical restrictions then don't bother as anything less than a ton of weight won't do any damn good, I will pass that along to my doctor who is very knowledgeable about weight lifting and up on the latest scientific literature and she told me I could not exceed 40 lbs or risk more surgery but to up my reps and i would still benefit. So you are saying she doesn't have any idea what she's talking about, lol. I will definitely pass that along and stay the hell away from all weights.
    This tread ia not about you. Good luck with your fitness goals
  • wow.. i can tell alot of people on here see one post and instantly reply to it ... if you read the entire thread you may find people are trying to learn.... its sad..... Hope everyone has a very nice day. :)
  • YvetteRoy
    YvetteRoy Posts: 13
    I've heard that lifting light weights with more reps is better for muscle definition and fat loss -- versus building muscle and bulking up which is what you would get with heavy weights. I myself go with the lighter wieghts with more reps cause I want a slender toned look. I already have pretty thick thighs and upper arms so I don't want to bulk them up anymore!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    low weight high reps for lean tone muscles
    heavy weight low reps for more bulk

just depends what you are looking for.

Not true.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    I've heard that lifting light weights with more reps is better for muscle definition and fat loss -- versus building muscle and bulking up which is what you would get with heavy weights. I myself go with the lighter wieghts with more reps cause I want a slender toned look. I already have pretty thick thighs and upper arms so I don't want to bulk them up anymore!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    chiropractor? Well there's your first problem
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    So, what some of you are saying is if you can't lift heavy due to medical restrictions then don't bother as anything less than a ton of weight won't do any damn good, I will pass that along to my doctor who is very knowledgeable about weight lifting and up on the latest scientific literature and she told me I could not exceed 40 lbs or risk more surgery but to up my reps and i would still benefit. So you are saying she doesn't have any idea what she's talking about, lol. I will definitely pass that along and stay the hell away from all weights.

No one is talking about people with special medical requirements.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member
    But if I eat the heavy weights repetitiously I will lengthen my bones and leanify my bulk, yes?
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 583 Member
    bump..... interested as well.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

That is an old myth, low reps high weight is not good for definition vs heavy weights. You will not bulk up unless you are in a caloric surplus and training to get bigger (it does not happen by accident)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    But if I eat the heavy weights repetitiously I will lengthen my bones and leanify my bulk, yes?

No but you'll set off the alarm at airport security.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    My goal is to lift heavy.
    As much as I can manage for 8-10 reps.

I keep getting recommendations from people (like my chiropractor) to lift less weight, and do higher reps.

what would be the benefit of light weights/more reps as opposed to lifting heavy?

This is what Heavy lifting does for you - you gain lbs but look so much better!

160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    I started heavy lifting at the rack 3 weeks ago, and I'll never go back. In three weeks, I feel stronger, my workout shorts are getting very loose (losing inches obviously), and my mental health is at it's peak. Endorphins are freaking awesome.

I had been doing lots of squats and lunges, etc before heading to the bars, but since i've been lifting HEAVY with the bars I feel like a new person. I'm not kidding you. I love going to the gym like never before.

Women, if you go to the gym, you MUST TRY IT. You will NOT bulk, and you'll notice your stomach trimming out just by using that freaking bar! You work your core with every exercise. JUST DO IT!

I would love for you to expand on your bar workouts! I have been doing a sculpting book and am lifting heavier but would love something new to get some great results.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,860 Member

No but you'll set off the alarm at airport security.

Hmmm, so I would no longer have to actually request the body cavity search...
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    chiropractor? Well there's your first problem

Careful, allegedly they're known to sue if anyone alleges that they are quacks.
  • Muscle Endurance.

Also lifting heavy doesn't create bulk in women esp in a deficit and EVEN at a surplus, ask my girl Rae. She gained 11 lbs and look tighter and leaner than she did before she start bulking.

I also never heard of figure competitors lifting low weights at high reps. They train heavy and hard to get that body.

Benefits of lifting heavy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes

THANK YOU GIRL! I love that link and it is all so true. Man I wish I had pics of me 2 years ago when I just did cardio and a few "light" weights. I was 15 pounds lighter than I am now and only a size smaller. But now I am curvy, no cellulite, round butt, 6 packs, arms getting defined and legs are shapely.

I lift as heavy as I can. When I say heavy I mean as much weight as I can complete with good form for 6-8 reps. If you can push out more than 10 reps on any exercise you should increase the weight. If your Chiropractor says this bc he wants less strain on your back, I am guessing you need to build strength there. Start off light with squats, deadlifts, straightleg deadlifts (which have made my lower back muscles pop out like crazy), rows, and lat pull downs. Once you start to build enough strength in your back to increase the weight then do so. Most women have very little back strength and this can cause back pains.

Train in the 6-10 rep range. You will burn fat and build lean sexy muscle. Just dont eat too much!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Dude with the chart showed it best - stay somewhere in the 6-12 reps range and all will be well. (12 really is the upper limit though)

Personally I go for 6-8. As soon as I can do 8 reps of something I up the weight so next time I can only do 6, then work up to 8. Rinse. Repeat.

Also - since this thread was more targeted at women - there will be no bulking.

When you see those beefy guys - they did heavy weights

When you see those toned girls with the flat stomachs and the bums like they should be in a Sloggi advert; they also did heavy weights.