Is there such a thing as . . .

Options
Jweb8969
Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
a GOOD low fat / fat free mayo on the market? i hate to admit it, but i LOVVVVVE hellman's mayo. i have shunned it and i miss it. lol. in the past i tried a reduced fat mayo and HATED it - it was bitter and left a nasty aftertaste. but that was a long time ago. has anyone found a TASTY mayo that almost makes you feel like you're eating the real deal?? (she asks optimistically) :laugh:

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Not low fat, but home made mayo is the absolutely best stuff.

I don't believe in eating low fat things as the stuff they put in when they take out the fat makes it a very processed product.

I never really liked mayo until I had home made mayo. It is very luscious.
  • Jweb8969
    Options
    do you have a recipe for your mayo? i guess i just want something that i can use a tablespoon of that doesn't equate to 25% of my daily fat intake - haha
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eating low fat things as the stuff they put in when they take out the fat makes it a very processed product.

I agree. fat free products are usually loaded with sugar and salt in order to make up for the lack of aft/taste. Just use less of the real stuff.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a big mayo person but in the past when making sandwiches I'd use a wedge of laughing cow cheese and that was really good. Now I want one. Thanks a lot :tongue:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I eat Hellman's Real Mayonnaise and take the calorie hit. It's so worth it, and I'd rather eat something made from vegetable oil, eggs and vinegar rather than gums and fillers with a nasty taste :smile:
  • michmill98
    Options
    Have you tried the ones with olive oil? My husband likes the Kraft one.
  • Jweb8969
    Options
    yes, that's what i've been doing, too - taking the hit - lol. yesterday i made a sandwich and piled on the lettuce and onions and used only 1/2 tablespoon of hellmans. was just hoping there was a 'healthier' alternative, so i could eat enough to actually taste it! haha. thanks, everyone!
  • Jweb8969
    Options
    i haven't tried the olive oil versions - i have thought about those, tho.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    a GOOD low fat / fat free mayo on the market? i hate to admit it, but i LOVVVVVE hellman's mayo. i have shunned it and i miss it. lol. in the past i tried a reduced fat mayo and HATED it - it was bitter and left a nasty aftertaste. but that was a long time ago. has anyone found a TASTY mayo that almost makes you feel like you're eating the real deal?? (she asks optimistically) :laugh:

I remember the bitter stuff--it was awful! I use Kraft's mayo with olive oil--fewer calories, less saturated fat, and I think it tastes quite good. Not the same as regular Hellman's, but it's head and shoulders better than the old, bitter stuff.