Protein Bars In The UK

Options
Des anyone know where to find high protein, low carb bars in the uk? Quest bars are massive in the US but it costs a fortune in shipping! Can anyone recommend any other brands which are availiable from UK retailers or in the high street shops?

thanks! (:

Replies

• Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm looking for the same thing too, so hopefully someone replies soon enough :).
    Also just noticed you're in Aberdeen too, nice to see someone local!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Holland and barrets can do okay ones sometimes, as can tesco for some weird reason o.o

also, on another note,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/391-team-scotland

noticed you were Scottish (:
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump to see more replies
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of maximuscle bars in Tesco the other day. 208 cals; 17g carbs, 6g fibre and 22g protein in a 60g bar. Weren't cheap though! I think about £1.80 each.

Don't know if that's still too carb-heavy for you. Tasted pretty good and they are very filling.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Could try Holland and Barrett. They have a huge variety of protein products including protein bars. I'm just looking on there site now, so far I have found Diet Whey Bar which has 50g protein and 28g of carbs per 100g, but the bars are like 50g I think.

There is also one called MAX MyBar Cookie. I've seen a lot of MAX MyBar products before, it has 50g of protein and 26g of carbs per 100g, the bars are 75g each. So I think that one has the best protein to carb ratio.

To be honest, after looking at those Quest Bars, there isn't a lot of protein in them compared to the amount of carbs that are in them. It's almost a 1:1 ratio of carbs and protein in those Quest Bars whereas the MAX MyBar Cookie is almost a 2:1 ratio of protein:carbs. So they are a hell of a lot better.

You could always go for even lower carb ideas and buy whey protein powder. If you look at my diary for today, I've had one serving of protein powder mixed in with Greek Yoghurt. It's like a 3:1 ratio of protein:carb.
  • jonshez
    jonshez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Promax diet bars they have 20g protein and 18.6g carb in a bar. They even taste ok!
    They contain various extra ingredients that are supposed to aid weight loss too - green tea, CLA (don't have one just before bed, you'll never drop off!)

Jonathan
  • amymaria91
    amymaria91 Posts: 202
    Options
    I get mine from Sainsburys, I know there's not many of them around in Scotland though
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone! keep em' coming (:
  • lady_in_weighting
    Options
    yeah, i can totally see where your coming from about the quest bars. the protein powder in yogurt is a great idea ;) holland and barrett might be a better place to go to get some protein bars. if the ratio is 2:1 in protein that a winner for me!

thank you!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    make your own.

Protein powder, greek yoghurt + freezer

Alternatively, eat cottage cheese
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    Amazon do them, and whey powders / shakes etc as well.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    PHD Flapjacks are good and a lot cheaper than the Maximuscle range
  • MrsM1ggins
    Options
    IIRC the PHD flapjacks are a lot higher in carbs.
  • lady_in_weighting
    Options
    if anyone is interested on finding out a really cheap protein supplier in the uk check out www.dolphinfitness.co.uk. 12 PHD diet whey bars for £17.49! BOOST :smile:
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this sounds good, never used protein powder before, what ratio would i use??
    many thanks, and just mix the 2 and put in freezer?
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    GUYS! A 1:1 ratio of carbs-to-protein is not a high carb product!

A typical diet will contain way more g of carbs to proteins - look at your food planner.

The one I have (from Decathlon if you live near one) is 111 cal, 9g protein, 9g carb. That is by definition a low cal, low carb, high protein product.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think getting something that has more protein than carbs is better, for one, some people might not get enough protein from food alone. I know some days when I have done a lot of exercise I find it hard to get my protein and having a greek yoghurt with a high protein powder helps to boost it up for the day.

Some meals tend to have more carbs than protein, so I think if you have protein powder that's got more protein than carbs, it's a good thing.
  • Getbackinmyjeans
    Options
    Atkins bars are ok. They taste pretty good. No where near as good a choice as in US.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Well I can't find my topic that was asking for a ncie tasting lower carb protein bar here in the UK but today I had the coconut vanilla Powerbar

:heart: :heart:

Tasted beautiful!
  • Lis_MG
    Lis_MG Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I buy my quest bars from the following site in the UK!!

http://www.powerbody.co.uk/search/quest-bars

Lisa