What kind of sauce do you like for Stir Fry

Replies

• I eat stir fry at least 3 times a week and I always use the same sauce recipe.
    1 tbs hoisin sauce
    1 tbs oyster sauce
    2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
    2 tbs rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp chili sauce
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/3 Cup low soduim chicken broth
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    I am forced to eat some form of stirfry everyday (live in China). People add seasame oil/ soy sauce/ salt/ MSG/ pepper oil (depending on what they are cooking).

I think it wll probably taste better with fresh vegetables... BUT it probably doesn't matter all that much.
  • Peanut butter, soy sauce and chilli sauce.
    Yes!!!! This is pretty amazing. I like to use hot chili sesame oil as well for stir-frying.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    i use soy, oyster, etc. but some of the pre-made ones aren't too bad either. just watch sodium and sugar content. i use fresh veggies and frozen. just depends on how much time i have. also, when peppers (red, yellow, orange) are on sale at my local market for like $1 a piece, i stock up. i pre-slice them and some onion and then throw into individual bags and freeze so they are ready for a quick meal. can make stir fry or fajitas this way. and then i'll add fresh in as well. birds eye makes an asparagus stir fry mix that is good too.

i never have issues throwing frozen in my stir fry because i use so little oil. i use maybe a tsp of oil and then if i need more, i use 1 T of water instead. more of a steam vs. fry, but keeps the fat content down.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    I haven't been using sauces, just olive oil, a little butter and assorted Mrs. Dash seasoning blends (Italian, Chicken, Southwest Chipotle). Trying to watch my sodium intake. The vegetables are delicious with a little seasoning!!!! I use fresh vegetables, usually including a little onion and/or garlic which are also loaded with flavor.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    i use soy, oyster, etc. but some of the pre-made ones aren't too bad either. just watch sodium and sugar content. i use fresh veggies and frozen. just depends on how much time i have. also, when peppers (red, yellow, orange) are on sale at my local market for like $1 a piece, i stock up. i pre-slice them and some onion and then throw into individual bags and freeze so they are ready for a quick meal. can make stir fry or fajitas this way. and then i'll add fresh in as well. birds eye makes an asparagus stir fry mix that is good too.

i never have issues throwing frozen in my stir fry because i use so little oil. i use maybe a tsp of oil and then if i need more, i use 1 T of water instead. more of a steam vs. fry, but keeps the fat content down.

oh, and i love to use chili flake and siracha.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I use some sauces by Lee Kum Kee, including their Hoisin, Garlic Chili, Chili Bean (Toban Djan), and Garlic Black Bean sauces. I also like to mix combinations using rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, and miso. Using peanut butter with soy and some chili sauce is good too. Using sake or dry sherry in your sauce is good too.

The last stir fry I did, the sauce was a combination of mirin, chili bean, barley miso, sesame oil, and chicken stock. The first three for sweet, spicy, salty.

As for veggies, if I have fresh, I'll use fresh, but I do have frozen veggies on hand for convenience. I usually have a big bag of frozen stir fry veggie mix from Costco.
  • estjames
    estjames Posts: 76
    Being that I do not like most frozen stir fry mixes (mushrooms=yuck), I will buy fresh veggies and make a huge batch (~8 servings) of stir fry veggies that I will freeze in individual containers so I can grab a pack anytime and it good to go. If you do not thaw the veggies before cooking they will not go limp, plus the ice from the veggies will add some moisture to your sauce so you do not have to use as much/any oil.

I do the same thing with my meat (although frozen in a different container). For instance, BS chicken is cheap if you buy the family size pack, so I just thinly slice the chicken and freeze in 1 cup containers.

As for the sauce, I add sriracha, +/- teaspoon sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, ginger powder, and mustard powder.
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Great sauce ideas. Thanks from Chicago IL
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    BUMP
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    indian korma cooking sauce (mild spice)
    or pad thai sauce

fresh veggies for sure!
  • I just made stir fry yesterday! i used teriyaki sauce, tons of ginger, some brown sugar, basil, and lots of red crushed pepper flakes(i like my spicy food). It was really good! Next time, i would try adding a little orange juice and chicken broth to make it more saucy and give it more flavor. Srry, dont have ingredient measuremets. :(
  • Momfisch
    Momfisch Posts: 9 Member
    Love Panda Express sauces I usually find them at Walmart not too calorie laden with great flavour. Kung Pao is my fav....

When doing stir fry Ido both fresh and frozzen depending on what is hand.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I take some soy sauce, spicy ground mustard, apricot preserves, ground ginger, ground mustard, and pepper. So good. The sweet and hot flavors are so good together.
  • BRAGGS LIQUID AMINOS....tastes exactly like soy without all the sodium
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    I love to take apple cider vinegar add a packet of truvia and some garlic salt. I think it is yummy and very low cal you may want to see if it is to your taste buds first :) I experimented a lot with low calorie to zero calorie options.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Mostly fresh, frozen for anything out of season, Mrs Dash Spicy Teriyaki (sodium free).
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Kikkoman Reduced Sodium Stir Fry sauce is very good. Walmart usually has a pack in the fresh veggie section that is "Stir fry mix" and it's broccoli, carrots and snow peas. I've used that before, and also made my own mix with broccoli carrots and mushrooms.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    I use a combo of fresh and frozen veggies - whatever I have on hand! Last stir fry was fresh asparagus, canned chickpeas, mushrooms and a grated carrot. I LOVE the Trader Joe soyaki sauce. That is the great thing about stir fries - can use whatever you have on hand :)
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    I got this from watching Jamie Oliver on Food Revolution.....

red pepper flakes
    minced garlic
    minced ginger
    a little honey (I use blue agave)
    soy sauce (I use low sodium tamari sauce)

You slowly learn what combo of the above ingredients you love to get it just right. I like more ginger than garlic. Also with a little extra ginger, I don't put as much tamari sauce.

I think if you go to his site you will see him demo a beef stir fry. It's what he taught a ton of people to make in that WVa town on the first season. We just make a veggie stir fry.