What do you think about fruit?

Options
2»

Replies

• riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Raw fruit is great for you. The biggest benefit is that it is hard to overeat fruit, you usually fill up your stomach before you overload on calories. Although, it could still be possible to get too many calories, if you went really overboard. And some fruits do have more sugar than others.

Dried fruit needs to be eaten in moderation. They are much easier to overeat.

Cooked fruits are a fun way to have a dessert without ruining your calories for the day. Make an apple crisp with cinnamon sprinkles and just a few crunchy oats/nuts. Or peaches/pears in very light brandy sauce. Just go easy on the toppings.

My philosophy is that any fruit is a better choice than any junk food.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is real sugar. there is no difference between natural and un-natural sugar as far as your body is concerned. Fruits contain a combination of many kinds of sugar, including fructose, but also sucrose. Some fruits are very high in sucrose.

If sugar doesn't bother you, great! eat all the fruit you want. If you are diabetic or insulin resistant, fruit sugar matters, and you should count it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too, I've been buying lots of fruit snack packs from Morrisons and for example a small snack pack of approx about 10-15 pieces of pineapple contains about 17g of sugar and my daily allowance is 37g. So today eating a small pot of yoghurt and a pineapple snack pack has made me nearly go over my daily sugar allowance. I'm confused.

Not familiar with that particular brand but I'd suggest fresh fruits. Many of the packaged convenience portions have added sugar.

Morrison's is just a British supermarket.

The fruit pots are basically just mixed fruit pre-cut and put in an airtight container.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love it.... and honestly, fruit is why I don't count my sugars, because I always go over especially when I eat a banana... Because during the weeks when I actually eat right, I try to eat at least 2 pieces/servings of fruit.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too, I've been buying lots of fruit snack packs from Morrisons and for example a small snack pack of approx about 10-15 pieces of pineapple contains about 17g of sugar and my daily allowance is 37g. So today eating a small pot of yoghurt and a pineapple snack pack has made me nearly go over my daily sugar allowance. I'm confused.

Not familiar with that particular brand but I'd suggest fresh fruits. Many of the packaged convenience portions have added sugar.

The fruit pots are basically just mixed fruit pre-cut and put in an airtight container.

Sounds like the Del Monte versions we have here. They are sold in the prepacked salad sections where I shop.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Sounds like the Del Monte versions we have here. They are sold in the prepacked salad sections where I shop.
    Yea sort of except if I had to guess I would think they were fresher and not 'messed about with'

From what I understand they literally cut the fruit, put it in a pot and vacuum seal it where as I would guess Del Monte probably add preservatives etc.
  • rosannawebb
    rosannawebb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah the fresh fruit pots here (UK) are literally just that, fresh fruit ready to eat. The del monte fruit we get here is usually preserved in some way. Expensive way to buy it but very helpful if you are out and want to grab something without messing up a healty eating plan!
  • jessmarie84
    Options
    Thanks everyone - great feedback on the fruit debate :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Fruit is not an optimal thing to eat in abundance - IF you are attempting to lose weight. Natural sugar is still sugar. Does that mean fruit is bad for you? Or that you shouldn't eat any of it? Heck no. But fruits are almost entirely carbs/sugars. If you're watching your weight, you might want to cut back on it.

I love fruit and wouldn't give it up for anything :)
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I love fruit, but I definitely count the calories in it. Otherwise I would eat a banana every time I was hungry and they're about 100 calories each. I usually have some fruit everyday, recently strawberries or apples in greek yogurt.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is real sugar. there is no difference between natural and un-natural sugar as far as your body is concerned. Fruits contain a combination of many kinds of sugar, including fructose, but also sucrose. Some fruits are very high in sucrose.

If sugar doesn't bother you, great! eat all the fruit you want. If you are diabetic or insulin resistant, fruit sugar matters, and you should count it.
    This
    I limit fruit, especially high sugar fruit, and try to eat protein with any fruit that I eat to slow its digestion. Limiting sugar is not just for Diabetics and Insulin Intolerant, I strongly believe that it will help prevent Diabetes. This and preventing heart disease are the basis of the South Beach plan--to avoid spikes in your blood sugar.