Having trouble eating back exercise calories

Options
Ever since I've started watching what I eat - or how much I eat. I have got to where I can barely eat all my food. If you look at yesterday's diary - I barely had 898 calories for the whole day - I burned way more than that at the gym. At dinner I tried to push myself to eat all my food but I just couldnt without feeling like I would be sick. I know I missed breakfest yesterday and didnt have any healthy snacks at work so I just had 3 peanut m & ms. How can I better manage how I eat. The 5 or 6 small meals isnt realistic for me at work. (I'm always on the phone or infront of a customer so I cant be eating and I dont get to leave my desk for breaks -- guess they are TRUE breaks) Any advice?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Look for ways to incorporate healthy fats into what you already eat. It will give you a calorie boost, so you're not so short on calories!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Try almonds if you're not allergic to nuts. One ounce has over 100 calories :) Or a glass of milk or two instead of water.

Water is important, I'm not telling you to cut it out, BUT eating is WAY more important for overall health. Find a way to get some more calories in!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Adding nuts, Peanut butter & dairy products things like that should help you. Also if you cant eat at you desk how about a drink like a smoothie that has decent calories. I do a chocolate banana pb shake/smoothie sometimes with added protein powder if I am super low on calories that is really good & helps me meet my calorie goal. Awesome in the am especially cuz I am so not a breakfast person.
  • leftoverprattf
    Options
    I've been having issues too, but yesterday I managed to eat all my fats.

What I do is I snack all through out the day. I take a handful of cereal to school, an orange, and maybe celery sticks. I'm just constantly nibbling. I know it's not much, but it does add up. I love snacking because it keeps me from eating bad foods too--I'm never super hungry so I don't eat the bad stuff! :)

Also, try an avocado. Tons of (good) fat. Or nuts. (Sometimes I'll go over my limit by 3 or so because of healthy fats)

and rest assured--I like exercising (Zumba & TurboKick don't really seem like exercise to me), so I burn a LOT. I don't eat it all back because it usually requires me to eat 2,300 cals per day, which is MORE than what I ate BEFORE my diet. I read somewhere that humans are horrible at accurately counting calories and portions, so you probably eat more than what you record. So I don't freak out when I have about 300 cals left for the day--I assume some of it I just didn't record correctly.

Either way, just try to eat more. Just try not to leave such a gap :)
    Good luck!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    avocado, nuts, protein shakes, peanut butter (natural, no sugar is best), olives... just don't turn to junk. :) There are plenty of higher cal alternatives that are good for you.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I generally only have about 500 or so left over or less a day. This was my first time not making it to 1000 and it startled me! I was lying in bed at 11pm going "what can i do to add calories". DIDNT even think about having a glass of milk!!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason why I drink protein shakes at work....calories, protein, vitamins, fiber etc
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Could try Scrambled Egg? It's quick, high in protein and it's at least 200 calories if you use 3 whole eggs. Whisk it up with a fork and stick in the microwave :D

Add some bits of chicken to it if you have any left?