FRUSTRATED!

Options
Last year I gained 15 pounds on top of the already 20 I wanted to lose secondary to Celexa (antidepressant). After speaking with my MD about it, I weaned off of it (took almost 4 months) and have been off of it for two months.

I am 36 and have a 5/12 year old and 2 1/2 year old. I have been steadily working out for 18 weeks, first doing kettle bell work outs 3 times a week for 12 weeks. Then, I increased my workouts to five days a week with interval training on the treadmill on MWF and every T&Th yoga/strength training and a brisk 1 mile walk. I have my calories set to lose two pounds per week and usually stay within that goal, sometimes going 100 over (probably twice a week). My only downfall is eating is cereal (cheerios or kashi). Otherwise, I eat very healthy. I could increase my water intake. I don't drink soda and I drink 12 oz of coffee per day.

Anyway...I have lost 1 pound. ONE. I have lost 1 inch off of my waist and 1/2 inch off of my thighs & arms. I am soooo frustrated. I know that I've gained muscle but come on!!

Advice??? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    SO many things can factor into this. First, make your diary public so we can see what you've been doing.

Without seeing your diary here are my questions:
    Do you use a HRM?
    Do you weigh your food?

Also, with 35 pounds to lose, you MAY have your goal set too high. Try setting to 1 pound/week.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? Some people can, some people can't, and some people can eat some of them back. Do what works for you! But DON'T starve yourself.

Maybe you could see a dr again as well. You could have a health problem that is hindering results too.
  • Leahjensen7
    Leahjensen7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So, I try to net 1200 calories per day. Yep, I weigh my food and I don't use a HRM during strength training, but during my interval training my HR averages 145 - 160.

Last June I asked my MD to run a metabolic profile (blood test) to make sure I am not hypothyroid, pre -diabetic or diabetic, low vit D levels etc. Everything came back perfectly normal. My HDL's were actually high and my LDL's are extremely low. I seriously eat very healthy. My husband doesn't eat beef or pork, so my main sources of protein are chicken, turkey, fish and greek yogurt.

I do gain muscle very, very easily. In fact, I was just discussing with my husband last night how huge my calves have gotten. It's ridiculous. But my testosterone level isn't too high. LOL!!!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why you are frustrated? You have lost inches. Who cares what the scale says, as long as you know you are getting healthy and losing inches?
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't slap me for asking this, but is there any chance you had them check you out for early menopause? I was about 38 when it hit me. And I didn't know because I was on birth control pills so I was still having periods. But it screwed up my metabolism tremendously. It also caused me to have problems with cholesterol and blood sugar. Since I went on HRT, I'm starting to get back to where I was....along with eating healthy and exercise.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Thyroid tests are notoriously inaccurate, so I wouldn't completely write that possibility off. Mine have come back fine, but I lose weight like crazy when I'm pregnant and have to fight to keep it off when I'm not - very opposite the norm, which makes us suspect that I might have a thyroid issue. (Plus it runs in my family)

That said I can totally relate. I fought for months with virtually no change. Then I started 30 Day Shred and I didn't lose weight over the month, but I lost six inches off my waist (FINALLY!). So I continued with Ripped. I still wasn't losing weight, so I started adding in an additional workout 2-4 times a week (which for me has been Extreme Shed and Shred), and then I started to finally see a shift on the scale.

So I guess time and playing with calories. I had to increase mine, and I'm currently eating 1,460, and I'm seeing changes. So maybe try bumping it up 200 calories or so and see what happens.

I'm about 30-35 pounds away from my goal, too, and it's slow moving at this point!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just by reading what you are saying, I would try adding some more calories. Maybe try netting 1500 calories a day for a couple weeks and see what that does. It's all about trial and error. There is not one standard way for every person to lose weight, you just have to find what works for you. I know it can be frustrating, just don't give up!
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you may have just answered your own question. if you're really building muscle up that easily, that could be the weight your "not losing". you may be burning off fat and building muscle, try not to rely only on the scale to measure your success. That may not be the whole answer but it may account for some. I know we sometimes look for that number for reassurance but its not everything. good luck!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough? 1200 calories isn't very much. I started out my settings at 1 lb a week which gave me 1420 calories. It seems like everyone I know that has their calories at 1200 doesn't lose weight and once they change their setting and get more calories in them they start losing. Good luck!
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough, i was aiming for 1200 cal and exercising for a while with limited results. I then stopped the exercise and upped my cals to 1450 and ive lost a lot more since then. Everybodies body responds different and has different needs, try juggling the type of foods you eat around, i have only just recently starting to experiment with what i eat and at what times of the day rather than just sticking to traditional eating habits and I am surprising myself with what I am learning about my body....I mean who knew a chicken and mayo sandwich for breakfast was what it would take to stop me feeling hungry and snacking and make me last the whole day without feeling deprived! For years i thought a low cal cereal or yoghurt surely was the 'sensible' thing to do.

Dont stress and play around and good luck finding out what its going to take!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I'd get a BodyMedia FIT or a BodyBugg to actually track your calorie expenditures. MFP can be highly inaccurate when calculating calories burned.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with Ramaron. I gain 20 lbs in about 2 months. SInce i've been off it i've lost 6 lbs. I am hoping to continue to loose weight. I've been on celexa and still lost weight. When i was eatin 1200 calories a day i was hungry all the time and couldn't loose any weight. I had to eat more to loose weight. Just a thought i wish you luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 35-40lbs to go your weekly weight loss goal should be 1lb/week, 2lbs/week is much too aggressive and meant for those that are obese, not just overweight. Here is a guide for setting weekly weigh loss goals that will lead to fat lose with minimal lean muscle loss (provided you strength train and get enough protein):
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Leahjensen7
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice. I guess I'm frustrated b/c 1 inch in 18 weeks??? Really?

I actually spoke w/ my GYN re: early menopause. She laughed at first and then decided to take me off of my pill (last June). That being said, I am spot on, every 28 days. Grrr...but maybe I will discuss this again w/ her in April.

I will try increasing my caloric intake a bit and see. I should drink more water. Getting older SUCKS. I have never had this problem until after my daughter was born!!!!

I do know that I feel better once I work out and that's half the battle. I really appreciate the encouragement & advice. :heart:
  • Leahjensen7
    Options
    With only 35-40lbs to go your weekly weight loss goal should be 1lb/week, 2lbs/week is much too aggressive and meant for those that are obese, not just overweight. Here is a guide for setting weekly weigh loss goals that will lead to fat lose with minimal lean muscle loss (provided you strength train and get enough protein):
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Thank you!
  • Leahjensen7
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough, i was aiming for 1200 cal and exercising for a while with limited results. I then stopped the exercise and upped my cals to 1450 and ive lost a lot more since then. Everybodies body responds different and has different needs, try juggling the type of foods you eat around, i have only just recently starting to experiment with what i eat and at what times of the day rather than just sticking to traditional eating habits and I am surprising myself with what I am learning about my body....I mean who knew a chicken and mayo sandwich for breakfast was what it would take to stop me feeling hungry and snacking and make me last the whole day without feeling deprived! For years i thought a low cal cereal or yoghurt surely was the 'sensible' thing to do.

Dont stress and play around and good luck finding out what its going to take!

Good advice. Thank you!
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    sorry if you answered and i didn't see it, but do you eat back your exercise calories? that seems to be the downfall for a lot of people. the calorie goal that mfp gives you is to lose weight without exercise-- just diet alone. so, if you're exercising, you need to add extra calories in to offset that. i always ate back my exercise cals and it's worked perfectly for me. good luck!
  • lyddsmom
    lyddsmom Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't really understand why you are frustrated? You have lost inches. Who cares what the scale says, as long as you know you are getting healthy and losing inches?

Agreed! Sounds like you are making progress. Go and have your comprehensive body fat tested and if your body fat is in a fit and normal range then keep up the good work. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT make your food diary public. I don't understand why anybody would want perfect strangers monitoring their every move. YOU know how you eat and it sounds just fine, great in fact. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you've made a goal that will just take longer to achieve than you had hoped. Give yourself a pat on the back for all the great progress you have made so far!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough? 1200 calories isn't very much. I started out my settings at 1 lb a week which gave me 1420 calories. It seems like everyone I know that has their calories at 1200 doesn't lose weight and once they change their setting and get more calories in them they start losing. Good luck!

^^ This^^......very true for me. Doesn't make sense really when you first get offered this advice, but it does work. It takes a couple weeks, at least it did for me, but I finally started losing again. Half a pound, but after a month of not losing anything...i'll take it!
  • Elisa150LBS
    Elisa150LBS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AWW :( I know how you feel!
    I use to be able to loose a few pounds a week when I was younger- but these days I am lucky if I can get down a few a month it feels like. It sounds like you are not eating enough for the extra excercise that you have added to your weekly routine. you should be eating around 1400-1500 calories if you are working out 5+ days a week. youer water intake will play a HUGE part in weight loss as well.
    The easiest way I have found to get my water in for the day (which is 90 ounces) is set up a schedule LOL. I always have a bottle of water by my bed. As soon as I wake up I chug what ever is left over from the night before (10-12 oz.). As soon as I get to work I refill the water bottle I have at work, which is 1.5 liters. I keep it right next to my work phone, so every time I look up from my paper work or keyboard, I see it, grab it, and take a big drink for as long as I can hold my breath. Usually this means that by lunch, I need to refill. Once I make it about half way through the second bottle, I have taken care of my water intake! :)
  • Leahjensen7
    Options
    AWW :( I know how you feel!
    I use to be able to loose a few pounds a week when I was younger- but these days I am lucky if I can get down a few a month it feels like. It sounds like you are not eating enough for the extra excercise that you have added to your weekly routine. you should be eating around 1400-1500 calories if you are working out 5+ days a week. youer water intake will play a HUGE part in weight loss as well.
    The easiest way I have found to get my water in for the day (which is 90 ounces) is set up a schedule LOL. I always have a bottle of water by my bed. As soon as I wake up I chug what ever is left over from the night before (10-12 oz.). As soon as I get to work I refill the water bottle I have at work, which is 1.5 liters. I keep it right next to my work phone, so every time I look up from my paper work or keyboard, I see it, grab it, and take a big drink for as long as I can hold my breath. Usually this means that by lunch, I need to refill. Once I make it about half way through the second bottle, I have taken care of my water intake! :)

Thank YOU!!! I will try scheduling in my water. I know that I don't drink enough. I really appreciate all of the good advice that I've gotten. :smile: