Options

Replies

• sarammorgan
    Options
    bump
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question and thanks for all of the responses. I have PCOS as well, and have stalled for a few weeks now. I am going to try adding the cinnamon. I have been working my butt off and not losing anything is discouraging. I do feel much better with all the exercise, but still a girl would like keep losing. I keep reading calories in minus calories burned blah blah blah it is simple math blah blah blah and frankly I was starting to get frustrated at not losing for a few weeks. Here's to cinnamon! :drinker: I pray that it works for me and all of you :happy:

Good luck! And I hope it does work for you. But remember, it only helps improve fasting glucose levels in those who have (PCOS-related) insulin resistance. If you aren't insulin resistant, you'll likely see no benefit from taking cinnamon.
  • lucy2808
    lucy2808 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm already learning a lot. I am insulin resistant (had gestational diabetes in pregnancy due to PCOS). I think I will give the cinnamon a go.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm already learning a lot. I am insulin resistant (had gestational diabetes in pregnancy due to PCOS). I think I will give the cinnamon a go.

Good luck! You can do this!! :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What really, really helped me regulate my blood sugar was exercise, and birth control to get over the 'hump'. 5 years ago, before I started exercising regularly, my bloodsugar was zigzagging crazily and I had to eat a very careful diet, including high protein and fat about every 3 hours during the day.

I started exercising -- at first it was Aikido 2 days a week and weights 3 days a week. I tried cardio too, but I ^($#^$#() hated it. I'd make sure I ate before exercise and after as well, at least something, like nuts. Later the Aikido increased and the weights kinda fell by the wayside. Currently it's Aikido 6 days a week, and bodyweight exercises occasionally when a class is cancelled. I also supplemented with cinnamon for a while, but have gotten out of the habit of doing so.

My blood sugar is nearly completely stable now, and I can eat like a normal person. If I forget breakfast, the consequence is that I'm hungry at lunch, not that I'm fainting at lunch. If I drink soda (bad, bad, I know!), it doesn't cause me to crash shortly afterwards. I haven't had a blood sugar episode in 3 years.

TMI TMI TMI TMI

I've also been off birth control for 2 years. My periods have been just about completely regular (very slightly long, but regularly so). The blood flow is slightly heavy but generally normal. Cramping is extremely rare. Before I started exercising, the periods were very infrequent, VERY VERY VERY heavy (we are talking Red Sea here), and very painful.
  • sghcab051411
    sghcab051411 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Finally found a post about PCOS! I have pcos also. I have been heavy my whole life. I am finally ready to change this. I hear that Cinnamon helps a lot. I am looking for more information and other ladies with pcos to help keep me motivated. Would love to help in any way I can.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I guess that was a point I was making earlier. PCOS does not automatically equal insulin resistance.

Myself, I had PCOS for decades without being insulin resistant. It just kicked-in a few years ago, evidenced by sudden weight gain and an inability to lose weight through diet and exercise. That was the tip-off I'd become insulin resistant.

This is not really true. PCOS doesn't cause insulin resistance; insulin resistance causes PCOS. Not everyone with insulin resistance/PCOS become overweight. You may have been lucky for those years.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I'd like to encourage everyone with PCOS to join our MFP group. It is a great group of people who are very knowledgeable and helpful.

The group is here: http://laist.com/2009/03/10/photos_of_barbies--yes_the_doll--ne.php#photo-1
  • privatetime
    Options
    I guess that was a point I was making earlier. PCOS does not automatically equal insulin resistance.

Myself, I had PCOS for decades without being insulin resistant. It just kicked-in a few years ago, evidenced by sudden weight gain and an inability to lose weight through diet and exercise. That was the tip-off I'd become insulin resistant.

This is not really true. PCOS doesn't cause insulin resistance; insulin resistance causes PCOS. Not everyone with insulin resistance/PCOS become overweight. You may have been lucky for those years.

Sort of. PCOS is not actually a disease, but rather a constellation of symptoms, one of which is insulin resistance. EDITED TO ADD: People can have varying numbers of those symptoms. Few have all.

The terms I've read are "many", "most", or "the majority" of women with PCOS are insulin resistant. I've even read it as a percentage ("up to 80%"). Let's just say it would be news to me and those other sources that all PCOS women are insulin resistant.

Myself, I only ever had inovulatory dysfunction, which disappeared when I started gaining weight. At this time, I have zero PCOS symptoms, save anyone who knows I've lost weight in the past few months, thanks to diet, exercise, and cinnamon improving my fasting glucose levels. I have had ample boloodwork over the years, with no evidence of anything abnormal. To suggest that I was insulin resistant for 25 years at 97lbs & 5'4", and just lucky I didn't gain weight or could lose weight whenever I wanted, is curious to me. Can you explain how that would be possible if someone was truly insulin resistant?

Since I suddenly, and rapidly, began gaining weight about 5 years ago, I thinks it's fair to say "something" changed. And, to date, the only evidence is better fasting glucose levels since taking cinnamon. All signs point to acquired insulin resistance.

I suppose you might argue I had barely detectable insulin resistance all my life, and it simply worsened about 5 years ago, to the point of causing weight gain (and causing my periods to become regular?). Is that kind of what you were getting at?
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I also had a sudden weight gain, mine was in my mid twenties. The weight gain (80 pounds in one year) led to the doctor testing for, and diagnosing PCOS, that was after many frustrating doctors who said condesending things like, "maybe your just not being honest with yourself about what you are eating" I finally found a doctor who had a clue about PCOS and tested me.
  • agentscully514
    Options

Sort of. PCOS is not actually a disease, but rather a constellation of symptoms, one of which is insulin resistance. EDITED TO ADD: People can have varying numbers of those symptoms. Few have all.

The terms I've read are "many", "most", or "the majority" of women with PCOS are insulin resistant. I've even read it as a percentage ("up to 80%"). Let's just say it would be news to me and those other sources that all PCOS women are insulin resistant.

Myself, I only ever had inovulatory dysfunction, which disappeared when I started gaining weight. At this time, I have zero PCOS symptoms, save anyone who knows I've lost weight in the past few months, thanks to diet, exercise, and cinnamon improving my fasting glucose levels. I have had ample boloodwork over the years, with no evidence of anything abnormal. To suggest that I was insulin resistant for 25 years at 97lbs & 5'4", and just lucky I didn't gain weight or could lose weight whenever I wanted, is curious to me. Can you explain how that would be possible if someone was truly insulin resistant?

Since I suddenly, and rapidly, began gaining weight about 5 years ago, I thinks it's fair to say "something" changed. And, to date, the only evidence is better fasting glucose levels since taking cinnamon. All signs point to acquired insulin resistance.

I suppose you might argue I had barely detectable insulin resistance all my life, and it simply worsened about 5 years ago, to the point of causing weight gain (and causing my periods to become regular?). Is that kind of what you were getting at?

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Let me back up a bit.

I was diagnosed back in the 90s by Dr. Charles Glueck, who was one of the pioneers in PCOS research. he was one of the very first to make the connection between PCOS and insulin. He hadn't even been looking for it -- he was studying insulin's effect on cholesterol, and some of his patients with PCOS happened to improve their other symptoms.

Dr. Glueck explained to me at the time that insulin resistance was THE root cause of PCOS. I just poked around on the web, after reading your post, and you're right, most sources don't use such certain language. It's possible Dr. Glueck had a bit of a bias in the matter. :) In any case, whether or not insulin resistance is THE root cause, it is certainly A root cause. This is demonstrated because controlling insulin helps resolve the other symptoms in so many women. It's not just another symptom. It influences all of the others.

Your blood work is definitely good evidence that you didn't have insulin resistance before.

I guess at this point, all we can say is that the ultimate cause is not fully understood, and there may be multiple causes.
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey! Loads of studies and people suggest differen things. But I have found that what works best for me is somehing that fits into my life! I have given up most carbs except for brown bread and weetabix which i have a small portion of one or the other. That's worked best for me. Give stuff ago and find a system that works for you.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump - i'm getting ready to leave the office and really want to reply later :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for many years and if you have symptoms (hair growth especially) there really is nothing that will make them go away. There is no miracle treatment or cure -- there are just a bunch of things known to improve your situation.

Before my weight loss, I was also diabetic -- do double whammy insulin resistance, not fun.
    Cinnamon did nothing for me. I actually had an ablation out=patient surgery that finally fixed my insane periods by making them stop. Not suggested if you're planning to have children. (I couldn't - infertility is another fun PCOS symptom)

The only thing that really helps is making a life long decision to eat lower carb, higher protein, exercise, exercise, exercise, get plenty of sleep -- and get laser hair removal. (This is not permament either with PCOS but it does help make the hair growth thinner)

You do not need to go drastic low/no carb extreme... but the MFP defaults are much too high. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat and it works for me.

Wait until you also get to deal with PCOS and peri-menopause :) Better than dealing with diabetes but it sure makes weight loss hard.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I suspect I have PCOS, but my dr. seems hesitant to test me for it. I am having no problem losing weight, but do have some of the other symptoms (i.e. heavy periods, extreme water retention, a LOT of facial hair). What is the process for the testing?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I suspect I have PCOS, but my dr. seems hesitant to test me for it. I am having no problem losing weight, but do have some of the other symptoms (i.e. heavy periods, extreme water retention, a LOT of facial hair). What is the process for the testing?

Your doctor may be hesistant to test if you are not *missing* periods. That's one of the requirements for a PCOS diagnosis.

The other requirement is elevated androgens in the blood (testosterone). This is a simple blood test.

Some doctors like to do an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts. Other doctors do not feel this is necessary.

Are you seeing an OB/GYN or an endocrinologist? I strongly recommend an endocrinologist. He/she will know what to look for, and they will also be able to check for other conditions that might be causing your symptoms.

best of luck!
  • sarammorgan
    Options
    I'd like to encourage everyone with PCOS to join our MFP group. It is a great group of people who are very knowledgeable and helpful.

The group is here: http://laist.com/2009/03/10/photos_of_barbies--yes_the_doll--ne.php#photo-1

I don't think this link it right. I got a website on Barbies :)
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Aw crap. it won't let me edit the other post.

Once again, the CORRECT link for the PCOS group is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/170-pcos-cysters-losing-together
  • privatetime
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughtful response. Let me back up a bit.

I was diagnosed back in the 90s by Dr. Charles Glueck, who was one of the pioneers in PCOS research. he was one of the very first to make the connection between PCOS and insulin. He hadn't even been looking for it -- he was studying insulin's effect on cholesterol, and some of his patients with PCOS happened to improve their other symptoms.

Dr. Glueck explained to me at the time that insulin resistance was THE root cause of PCOS. I just poked around on the web, after reading your post, and you're right, most sources don't use such certain language. It's possible Dr. Glueck had a bit of a bias in the matter. :) In any case, whether or not insulin resistance is THE root cause, it is certainly A root cause. This is demonstrated because controlling insulin helps resolve the other symptoms in so many women. It's not just another symptom. It influences all of the others.

Your blood work is definitely good evidence that you didn't have insulin resistance before.

I guess at this point, all we can say is that the ultimate cause is not fully understood, and there may be multiple causes.

Thank you! Very informative!

Did you read about the research showing there may be a link between the gene that causes premature balding in men, and their daughters' PCOS? I came across so many interesting bits of trivia during my research, including how cinnamon was discovered to improve fasting glucose levels.

I find it all fascinating but, at the same time, as I move closer to menopause and have seemingly cracked the sudden weight gain nut (fingers crossed that it continues), i'm just glad I'm getting back to normal. (Thank you, cinnamon.) If only I could go back to the inovulatory dysfunction.... I suppose there's something to be said for predictability, I guess. ...Every 28 days.
  • mnbramos
    mnbramos Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm being a hypochondriac but I have being reading up more on PCOS and think that I could possibly have this. I decided to go off of my birth control the other year because I wanted my body to adjust normally by the time I was married so I could start thinking about having kids. Well, after almost 6 months I got nothing! My OBGYN put me back on and my period started again. I, once again, decided to try and go off of them to see what would happen and I haven't gotten my period in almost 3 months.

I'm not sure if I should ask for a lower dose and see if it works? I'm scared to "wait it out" because I have read that the uterine lining can become thicker the longer you go without a period, which could possibly affect fertility in the long run.

I had blood tests (at least 2-3) this past summer, along with a pelvic ultrasound (not fun), and everything seemed normal to them with the exception that my brain wasn't telling my ovaries to release as much estrogen as they should be. I have also had trouble losing weight when on birth control.

I was thinking to go back to the OBGYN and get more blood work and ask about a lower dosage, or more natural ways to try and get my period back on my own other than pills.

Any advice? I'm at a loss of what to do...