Pink Slime in School Lunches

Options
cabaray
cabaray Posts: 971 Member
Fast food restaurants have finally stopped using pink slime "meat". Now it appears it's OK to serve at school? I bet some schools that use this have also set guidelines as to what can be brought in sack lunches for health reasons.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/seven-million-tons-8220-pink-slime-8221-beef-180500764.html

Replies

• leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I read an article yesterday that was talking about how the "slime" is in the ground beef you buy at grocery stores too. I'll try to find the link.
  • Nicole3d
    Nicole3d Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have read the article yesterday and i was disgusted by it. I have 2 children, my son is in HS and my daughter is in ES. I cant believe that the schools would actually allow this type of material in their lunches. Kids will be packing from now on if they serve some sort of beef for lunch.

Nicole
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    That's quite rank. I know this pink slime stuff has been popping up on the site for a bit now. I first saw it mentioned in McDonald's food in a different thread. Now they are saying it's in school meals and lean ground beef...

I'm hoping that they are actually using proper ground beef in the UK and not this so called pink slime...
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That's quite rank. I know this pink slime stuff has been popping up on the site for a bit now. I first saw it mentioned in McDonald's food in a different thread. Now they are saying it's in school meals and lean ground beef...

I'm hoping that they are actually using proper ground beef in the UK and not this so called pink slime...

I read that it was banned for human consumption in the UK.