Are peanuts healthy?

Options
I know almonds are, but are peanuts?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What defines "healthy" to you?

Peanuts (and almonds, for that matter) are relatively high in calorie, but they have a great nutrition profile- proteins, carbs, poly and monounsaturated fats, and of course micronutrients.

If you're okay with high fat, high calorie, and carbs, then they're great for you.

If you're on a low carb diet, a low fat diet, if you have a hard time stopping after just a handful, or have a hard time adjusting your calorie intake in other areas to fit in the calories you'd eat with the nuts.... then you probably shouldn't eat them.
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Only covered in chocolate.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    locker.gif
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" doesn't have a good meaning when applied to a particular food outside the context of your overall diet.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    locker.gif

you're on a roll today
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Remember that, despite their name, peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes, like peas.
    they still have pretty good nutritional value so there is nothing wrong with them.

The big problem is that peanuts are often roasted in oil and covered with salt -- that is a definite diet problem.

Here is a good link discussing the nutritional value of nuts, including peanuts.

http://www.wisebread.com/the-best-and-worst-nuts-by-nutrition-and-price
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I would say if they fit in your calorie goals, go for it. I try to fit in a planters nutrition energy pack of nuts (180cals) as a snack in between lunch and dinner. It provides me with enough protien to satisfy my hunger and keep me energized. These single serving packs also limit me binging on a can of nuts that have 10 servings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or intollerance, they are very good for you.