Elevated triglycerides...what to do?

Options
So I was just at the doctors this morning and he pointed out that my triglycerides were higher than normal. Any pointers on how I can improve that, and lower it? What are triglycerides exactly? (My Dr. mentioned that its like a fat in the blood or something, he was talking too fast)..Thank you in advance!

Replies

• whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Too much carbs - cut down on sugar and alcohol for example.
  • echarlto
    echarlto Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Generally, your blood triglyceride level will track your dietary carbohydrate intake. If you eat less carbs, your triglyceride level will fall.
  • kutastha
    kutastha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's the carbs. Also, were you fasting when you had your blood taken?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Next time ask him to slow down, or even write it down so you'll have it to refer to later. S/he should also have given you ways to reduce it. Exercise is the best way. Also, eat less sugar and take omega-3 supplements.
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you for the reply!
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options

When my doctor initially requested the blood work, he was checking for hormone deficiency, because my neck was a lil bit swollen, that is why i'm guessing he didn't instruct me to fast before getting my blood work done. I only had a latte an hour before I got my blood sample taken.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

When my doctor initially requested the blood work, he was checking for hormone deficiency, because my neck was a lil bit swollen, that is why i'm guessing he didn't instruct me to fast before getting my blood work done. I only had a latte an hour before I got my blood sample taken.

that would be why it was elevated...this test needs to be done fasting to be accurate...i wouldnt worry about it too much, they will recheck it and make sure you are fasting next time.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise! For sure!!! Mine were very high, and after two months of eating well (cutting back sugars and a lot of unhealthy fats) and exercising regularly they had dropped within normal levels! You can do it!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The latte would have raised the number. Make sure you fast before your next blood test if it has cholesterol or triglycerides on it.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Correct. Usually 12 hr fast before draw. You can google triglycerides and you will get lost of info.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Too much refined carbohydrate--sugar, white flour, etc. Triglycerides have an inverse relationship with HDL (good) cholesterol; i.e., when triglycerides are high, HDL is low, and vice versa. I think the measurement needs to be done fasting to be accurate, though.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    When mine were a bit high the nurse told me to eat less fried foods.
    She should have said:

How can you lower your high triglycerides?

You can make diet and lifestyle changes to help lower your levels.
    Stay at a healthy weight.
    Limit fats and sugars in your diet.
    Be more active.
    Quit smoking.
    Limit alcohol.