Strength/Weight Training - Don't go to gyms and limited spa

Options
DAM_Fine
DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
What can I do for strength training? I have lots of opportunity and enough space for cardio, but what do I do about the strength training. I am beginning to think that's what I'll need to get rid of these last 5 and tone things up to where I want them.

Any good suggestions?

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    What can I do for strength training? I have lots of opportunity and enough space for cardio, but what do I do about the strength training. I am beginning to think that's what I'll need to get rid of these last 5 and tone things up to where I want them.

Any good suggestion

check out Mark Lauren's book "You are your own gym". It's a bible of bodyweight exercses that can be done in your own home. There's also a ton of youtube resources on proper form of conventional strength training exercises, which only require a yard sale set of dumbbells.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pushups.... you could try the hundred pushups program or variation style (feet in chair elevated, hands on chair feet on floor, different hand placements

Resistance Bands... make sure you buy good quality (the Gold's Gym brand is my personal favorite) Preferably the long 3 tube unit and the short 3 tube unit will cost you less than 50.00 all together. You can do MANY different upper body and lower body exercises for strength training with a good set of resistance bands.

Kitchen CORNER counter dips bent knee heels of feet touching your butt

Tricep dips using either your bathtub, couch, or chair with someone holding it.

In 2003 I lost 30lbs in 3 months by conducting circuits using the exercises above coupled with situps, crunches, with shadow boxing, jumping jacks, and running in place for cardio.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Walking, jogging, running, swimming, squats, split squats, lunges, burpees, push ups, sit ups, walking lunges, cage fighting, dips, chin ups, jump rope, dancing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of strength training/toning DVD's... I just ordered No More Trouble Zones... I would like to do p90x if I could afford it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Lunges/squats are phenomenal... My body will never get used to them. They don't require much space at all. Seconding resistance bands, those are amazing
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't be suprised if you improve your body, but never lose the 5 pounds or even gain some. You may be HOT, HOT, HOT, firm and tight, but not see that one number on the scale. That's not a bad thing cause you will build muscle and burn more calories just walking around.
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    Pushups.... you could try the hundred pushups program or variation style (feet in chair elevated, hands on chair feet on floor, different hand placements

Resistance Bands... make sure you buy good quality (the Gold's Gym brand is my personal favorite) Preferably the long 3 tube unit and the short 3 tube unit will cost you less than 50.00 all together. You can do MANY different upper body and lower body exercises for strength training with a good set of resistance bands.

In 2003 I lost 30lbs in 3 months by conducting circuits using the exercises above coupled with situps, crunches, with shadow boxing, jumping jacks, and running in place for cardio.

I do both pushups and reverse pushups now, and do have resistance bands, but not sure the best way to use them. Can you tell me where I can find good instructions for stretch bands, and how to do counter dips and tricep dips? Hate the thought of doing things wrong...
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    Walking, jogging, running, swimming, squats, split squats, lunges, burpees, push ups, sit ups, walking lunges, cage fighting, dips, chin ups, jump rope, dancing.

Aren't all these more cardio than strength? I already do walking, jogging, running, squats, split squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups, walking lunges, dancing and use a weighted hula hoop.
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    Don't be suprised if you improve your body, but never lose the 5 pounds or even gain some. You may be HOT, HOT, HOT, firm and tight, but not see that one number on the scale. That's not a bad thing cause you will build muscle and burn more calories just walking around.

Well, I want the firm and tight, but I want the weight to be right too - greedy and I told him I was going to get back to the weight I was when we met. HE may not hold me to it, but I'd love to do it!
  • sallyschmeling
    sallyschmeling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining a local Curves for Women. The machines are hydralic (spelling?), not weight stacks. I like the changes I have noticed in my body; the triceps are starting to tone up nicely. I will have to admit that I do work at my local Curves, but I was a member before I was an employee. Even if I had another job, I would stay a member because I like it that much.
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    @Sally - I don't go to gyms - that's why I'm looking for home alternatives.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining a local Curves for Women. The machines are hydralic (spelling?), not weight stacks. I like the changes I have noticed in my body; the triceps are starting to tone up nicely. I will have to admit that I do work at my local Curves, but I was a member before I was an employee. Even if I had another job, I would stay a member because I like it that much.

No offense but Curves doesn't work for everyone. I was there 5 years and went from 155 to 14-something and then bulked back up to 170. I went thru the regular workouts, advanced workouts, Curves Smart, Zumba and did it all.

On topic: I agree with pushups/squats/lunges/burpee's/dips. They are all strength training.

At my gym I don't see any girls doing pushups not even on there knees. There are always harder variations to moves.
    Example: Pushups
    Wall,Knees,Regular, Side to Side(requires a wide 'grip'), Narrow, Wide, Feet Elevated etc.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I do both pushups and reverse pushups now, and do have resistance bands, but not sure the best way to use them. Can you tell me where I can find good instructions for stretch bands, and how to do counter dips and tricep dips? Hate the thought of doing things wrong...

Sounds like you've been doing some great exercises at home so far....

Here's some YouTube videos for you that will get you started. By the way don't attempt any of these with "cheap" resistance bands. They will snap on you.... believe me... I know. Until I bought the Gold's Gym brand I would snap/break resistance bands once a year without fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUKwBHdhjeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qT4ZrLyIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDGR2bVPGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7TGDw5eow

And last but not least the kitchen counter dips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n327o2Hs-HY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnQqAE8o1Cg&feature=related
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for weights you can use something like sandbags

http://www.mansionathletics.com/rage-sand-bags-50-lb-kit-ta12253-powermax-core-strength-body-weight-training-and-stability.html?channelid=Google Products

i'm sure there's probably better or cheaper ons than the link i posted, but i just wanted to give an idea of what i meant.

there's also TRX bands

http://www.amazon.com/TRX-Pro-Pack-Door-Anchor/dp/B002YRB35I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331349543&sr=8-1

if i had to go the home gym route and i still lived in an apartment and had limited space, i'd definitely get those 2 options
  • DAM_Fine
    Options
    Sorry it took so long to answer this, but I got so busy reading everyone else's posts I forgot about mine...

Thanks to everyone who answered and especially thanks for all the great links and suggestions. Hope it will help others as well as me, too!
  • angela2084
    angela2084 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have found a website that both my boyfriend and I now use. It has great workouts for all body parts. It's stuff you can do at home with or without any equipment.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_1_19/ai_95632130/?tag=content;col1
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The Supreme 90 DVD's are $20 for the set, each workout is about 45 minutes with warm up and cool down. I haven't done the 90 day program yet, but the DVD's I have done have made some noticeable differences for me.
  • chelltune
    chelltune Posts: 17
    Options
    What about the 30 Day Shred DVD?
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above, there are plenty of videos for strength training as well as body-weight training. Also, walmart has a 40lb set of dumbbells for $20.00....I got them for when I can't go to the gym. Also, there is a website that is totally awesome....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

You can click on a muscle you want to work out then you can customize the search down to method such as no equipment, dumbbells, resistance bands, etc...AND they offer a short instructional video for both men and women as well as detailed explanations...I build my ST routines from this site....I love it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Well, I want the firm and tight, but I want the weight to be right too - greedy and I told him I was going to get back to the weight I was when we met. HE may not hold me to it, but I'd love to do it!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes

Take a look at the ladies in this link and tell me if you still feel that way!
    Some weigh more than when they started but woooooo how they look. It doesn't have to be with free weights. You've gotten some great suggestions with body weight exercises that will get you there too! Best wishes!