Will I Ever Look Great?

Options
I have been overweight for most of my life. I was a health weight last at about age 14. I'm 27. I slowly gained until 19 and then gained 100 pounds in the course of a year. From there, I slowly staggered upward, fought downward, lost the battle and ultimately I'm 27 and at least 300 pounds. (A weigh-in is due so I can get a real number down, but I think 325ish).

I was 257 around the time our daughter was born and she'll be turning 5 in May. I've been only gaining for the past 5 years.

So as this weight comes off... will my body adjust back? Will my skin reduce? Will I have awful excess skin if I lose this weight?

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Congrats on taking the steps to a better you first of all. Secondly, the questions that you asked are going to depend on your body alone. Everyone is different, but as the weight comes off you will fill better about yourself. I believe that your body will adjust and start to become smaller as you exercise but how much no one besides maybe your doctor can tell you. Make sure to have a healthy diet and drink lots of water and your will see an improvement in your body.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Will I have awful excess skin if I lose this weight?
    You will not have any more skin than you do right now.

Do not let the possibility of not losing any of it hold you back. It's not worth dying early over.
  • hutc9939
    hutc9939 Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree with above poster. Water definitely will help! Congratulations on making a change! I wish the best of luck to you! :happy:
  • rmoles18
    rmoles18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Always keep your head up and remember, doing this has got to be better than what you were doing! By doing this, you are taking control of your life and your future. Your child will see how you are eating and exercising and learn that this is the way that life is - eating well and doing physical activity are a part of every day life. I wish you luck in your journey and if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be available!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Do not let the possibility of not losing any of it hold you back. It's not worth dying early over.
    [/quote]

Well said! Regardless of how you look when you've lost the weight....you will be HEALTHY. That's the important thing.
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You've started for a better lifestyle & overall well being which is a great first step. I started mfp last october and have taken off almost 40lbs in addition to 40lbs I lost a few months prior. It was all from healthy eating and working out. I'm still over weight but way happier and healthier. It's not about being skinny for me, its just being healthy/fit. If I can offer you any words of advice/encouragement it is the following: it took more than a day to put it on, it'll take more than a day to take it off. Keep at it (don't cheat because you're only cheating yourself), and take it one day at a time. Tone (lifting) to help your body adjust while you're taking off weight. Make sure you eat enough calories but also make sure they are of quality (nutrient wise). You can do this! :) Best of luck!
  • arshness
    arshness Posts: 60
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's advice.
    I'm not going to keep the weight because of fear of excess skin, but I'd feel a lot less fearful of that possibility if I had any idea if that was likely or not.

I do want to look better because my self confidence needs that. But health is my primary concern.