Office/desk job...2:30-5pm MUNCH ATTACKS!

Options
OH my goodness...I have an office/desk job, 8am-5pm, and I CANNOT seem to get ahold of my will power from 2:30-5pm with snacking on ANYTHING I can get my hands on.
I'm very low on money right now, so I cannot afford to keep healthy snacks around to help with these muchie attacks.
To make matters worse, I have a very sweet woman that I work with that keeps TONS of junk food at the office all the time and persistently offers anything she has to me.

During my cravings for...anything...I lose focus on the goal and munch away. Any tips on how to keep my "eye on the prize" or keep my motivation and boost my will power to tell myself "NO, I am OK, I do not NEED these mindless-munchie foods"?

The obvious tip is to tell myself that...but it just doesn't stop me. Any advice from boredom/mindless eaters that have had success and victory over this?

Thank you! xo <3

Replies

• freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    baby carrots!
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I plan a snack around 3ish every day becasue I know I start to feel hungry around that time. If i have a plan to eat something small then I dont snack on anything else. I try and have a piece of fruit or a cheese stick or something small. I plan it into my calories to have breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner & sometimes a late night snack.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Healthy isnt expensive. I love Special K cracker chips and salsa! You can eat ALOT for under 100 cals!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to clementine oranges or tangerines, so I always keep a few of them in my desk. I also keep some Laughing Cow cheese wedges and celery in our fridge at work..... 35 calories for the cheese... next to nothing for the celery. Takes the edge off!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and after too many afternoons of overeating, I decided to allow myself to eat. So now I plan a small snack for 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30.... usually an apple, orange, string cheese, baby carrots, etc. Knowing I get another snack in an hour seems to help keep me on course and away from the vending machines (which are right outside my office door!).

I also have gum and sugar-free hard candies on hand when I need a sugar fix.

This works 90% of the time with me... the other 10%? Well, that usually means a date with the treadmill after work.... :tongue:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I keep a bag of almonds in my desk and munch on those when I feel like eating the candy at my desk. When I go over the serving size I don't worry because at least it's a healthy snack and not 3 Little Debbie snacks.

Otherwise, I usually drink a lot of water and hold out until dinner time. It is really hard and some days I fail. Just try to stay busy and remember your goal. You'll thank yourself in the future.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to clementine oranges or tangerines, so I always keep a few of them in my desk.

I love those!! I eat those in the morning around 10am. Keeps my stomach from growling and me from wolfing down my food at lunch.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always plan for afternoon snacks. Baby carrots really are great. I also have an apple! Water and green tea are always helpful for me too! I feel your pain...almost everyday people are brining cupcakes or cookies or something delicious to work and I have to avoid the kitchen!
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I also plan a snack each day around 2:30 or 3. Some of the things I have: baby carrots/grape tomatoes & fat free ranch dressing, almonds, fruit (orange, apple, grapes, etc.), protein bar, string cheese, or yogurt. I also am on a budget so I look for sales on the things I like at various grocery stores.
  • HeidiMuszall
    HeidiMuszall Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Track any snacks you are considering BEFORE you eat them. Might help to put the breaks on. Having a planned afternoon snack is definitely a must. Lastly, talk to your co-worker and ask her to stop offering snacks to you. Explain to her that she isn't helping with your diet plans.

I work in an office all day long too and I know that it's hard. I came in this morning to a mountain of muffins by the coffee machine and then was tortured at lunchtime smelling the pizza that everyone around me had ordered. Stay strong and focused!!
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That is my weakest time of day as well. I always plan a reward for myself if I have been good that day. Fruit fills you up (I usually have an apple) but the key is a very small amount of yummy stuff with protein (dark chocolate and almonds for me). Knowing you have this treat is key. Also, get up and walk around if you can - just stay away from the candy jar!
  • Kia148
    Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Quaker rice cakes and natural peanut butter.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prepack my snacks because I'm usually starving by 10 AM and 3 PM. I pack 100 calorie snacks of whatever I have on hand and put it into tupperware. I use almonds, grapes, pistachios, whole grain crackers, strawberries, cottage cheese. It keeps me from digging into the candy jar not ten feet from my desk.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something sweet, I get a coffee. I try to get it around 3 because its hot and will take a while to sip on it. I also will keep an apple in my cubicle.

Today I bought some red seedless grapes, strawberries, and a kiwi in case i get hungry.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY my problem. So much so that I was telling my husband last night that I could eat a huge meal at lunch and eat continuously from lunch until I leave for home.
    What I have had to do is bring my own snacks from home. Ones that I know are lower in calories that can help this horrible habit that I can't stop. The things that I keep around are dum dum suckers (they last long and you can have 3 for like 70 cals), celery (with this you don't even have to log, you burn the calories you intake when you are eating it!!), I know you said that you have a low budget but I would try the Special K crisps you can have a lot for not many calories to break one serving into two sandwich bags, also drink a lot of water. After you eat lunch your body might be telling you that you are hungry but it is actually telling you, that it needs water. I have a hard time with this one. But your body needs the water to help digest the food that you ate. And if you don't have enough it feels like you are hungry when you aren't.
    I am sure that this doesn't help you but hopefully you can find options that you can control these attacks with out throwing your daily goals down the drain.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    -Greek yogurt w/ fiber one cereal sprinkled on top
    -1/2 of 5hr w/ water (you munching b/c you are bored or getting sleepy!)
    -Almonds (I like the habanero bbq ones that are spicy) w/ some cheese cracker cuts

anything sweet makes your more hungry!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a mean craving for junk. I made myself a mug of chicken bouillon + hot water and it did the trick. I know it's high in sodium but I drink a ton of water so in my mind that equals out a bit (don't know if that's scientifically true but whatever!) I just got a cheap container of bouillon granuals and keep it in my desk. I also have some 99 cent "sleeves" of almonds, the wasabi and the smokehouse flavors. The wasabi is hot enough where I can't just chow them down, and the smokehouse is just different. I can't spend $$ on treats so I save these almonds for those times when I ate everything I brought from home and I just can't hold out anymore! I also plan for snacks throughout the day. Yogurts, fruits, veggies + dip, that sort of thing. Surround yourself with good snacks and you'll be ok! If you have a sweet tooth, try things like chai tea or a mug of warm milk with sugar free syrup (raspberry is yummy!).

I'm on a tight budget, too, but this is doable if it's in your plan. I had to make the commitment to buy fruits and veggies for me and my family, to have them around me, instead of junk, and it's now in my budget (we're a family of 4 and spend ~$75/week on groceries so I KNOW about tight budgets!!)
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    I have a desk job to and I use to be the same way as you!! Constantly snacking. I have, fortunately, learned how to control those urges, but when I do snack I try to keep it to 100 calorie snacks or below. I will eat Quaker granola bars or even the Kellogg Rice Krispie treats are only 90 calories. Fruits and veggies can be good to snack on to, but if you're like me, my sweet tooth likes to get the best of me and the granola and rice krispie treats help with that.
  • sandradaisy
    Options
    baby carrots!
    My first thought!!! Cheap and munchie
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    A bag of popcorn goes a long way!!!! Good Luck....