High protein chocolate mousse - sort of :)

Options
ColoradoRobin
ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
The other evening I had a chocolate craving but was low on protein for the day. I went down to the kitchen to figure out what I might do with some of my chocolate protein powder that would actually be tasty. I came up with this.

1 scoop (36 g) Muscle Milk chocolate whey protein powder
1 cup (227 g) Fage no-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 Tbs Dutch cocoa powder (I used Penzey's)
2 servings Reddi-whip whipped cream (a big spritz)

Mix the protein powder, cocoa powder, and yogurt together until smooth. Carefully fold in the whipped cream to not quite blended. You will still see white streaks. Don't overmix. You want to keep the air in the mix. Enjoy!

300 calories, 16g carbs, 1 g fiber, 5g fat, 48g protein, 235mg sodium

Note on ingredients:
Protein powders seem to vary a lot in taste and quality. The one I tried from Walmart last year was gritty and lacked flavor. The Costco Muscle Milk powder is much better in my opinion, and mixes with liquids without the coarse lumps and sandy texture that others had.

Fage, from Costco or many supermarkets, is a great smooth and creamy Greek yogurt. It rated highly when Cook's Illustrated did a comparison of Greek yogurts.

Dutch-processed cocoa has been treated to reduce the acidity, and so is better for making hot chocolate, or using in uncooked recipes such as this. You could use regular cocoa, but it might be a little harsher.

I didn't weigh the whipped cream to see how much I actually used, but it's not too bad because it's mostly air.

Replies