Trader Joe's...what should I try?

Options
Chicc
Chicc Posts: 144 Member
First off I should say I'm Canadian and just don't have have this amazing store in my neck of the woods. I travel alot with work and just happened to wander into one in WA after having heard about TJ on a friends food blog.

When I entered the store I'm sure I could hear bells ringing in my head ..holy crap I'm totally in love with this store!! I want want one closer to me...I want to try EVERYTHING!!!

That being said, I have been back at least once or twice a year for the last four years. I purposefully choose my driving route to intersect with at least one TJ store :)

I have a special few items I grab on a regular basis:

Sunflower Butter (I'm allergic to nuts and refuse to pay 10$ for a jar of no nut PEA butter)
Edamame crackers
Fflattened bananas
TJ chicken sausages
gluten free brownie mix
Agave
Dark Chocolate Covered power berries, Ginger and Pomegranate Seeds....YUM

So my question to all you TJ lovers out there, what is your favorite item and what would you suggest I try ....

and GO!

Replies

• cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    dishwashing detergent
    any chocolate covered nut (not very good for you, but so, so good)
    grilled chicken strips
    lots of cheap wine
    sugar snap peas
    pulled bbq chicken...

There is so much more, so shop away!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    A little bit of everything!

Trader Joe's is an hour away from me so I don't go very often but when I do, I stock up!

I like their popped potato chips! Yum!!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bwahhhh Trader Joes! I only went to it for the first time 2 months ago, but they have so much I like! Not to mention they are surprisingly cheap.

-Everything Pretzel Thins
    -Spinach and Kale Greek Yogurt Dip
    -Tuscan White Bean Dip
    -Reduced Guilt Mac N' Cheese
    -Pomegranate Seeds
    -Any of their pre-sliced fruit... mangos :3
    -Protein Power Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

The only thing I haven't liked was their Fat-Free Black Bean Dip... it tastes VERY vinegary. Not at all like other bean dips I've had.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    love their hummus and itty bitty potatos
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Trader Joe's is great if you're a lazy cook, like me.

For example, their pre-cooked white chicken chunks is a great time saver. Just mix it with their microwavable pre-cooked rice medley (brown rice, red rice, black barley), throw in some frozen veggies, and you have a very healthy little meal with very little fuss.

I also like their trail mix because some of the combinations come in pre-measured bags (around 170 calories each), so you don't end up eating your entire day's caloric requirements in ten minutes!

They also have a decent no sodium, whole wheat bread, if you're on a sodium restricted diet.

-- James
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know you can't have it, but my absolute favourite item is their Almond Butter with Roasted Flax Seeds. Hands down the best nut butter I've ever had. Crunchy, salty and delicious.

Other faves, in addition to the Sunflower Butter and Flattened Bananas you already mentioned are:

Multigrain Pita Bite Crackers
    Roasted Red Pepper & Artichoke Tapenade
    Oat n Wheat Bran Swirls Cereal
    Roasted Plantain Chips
    and pretty much anything from their nut/trail mix/dried fruit section...particularly the Tempting Trail Mix or the mixed nuts that only has cashews, almonds and chocolate. :)

On my next trip I am bringing a cooler bag so I can try some of the perishable items. I hear their frozen Indian meals are deeelish, and their yogurt is supposed to be really good too.

Oh and I see the 21 Gun Salute seasoning on blogs all the time so I want to try that.

Not so healthy, but amazing: Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels. I die.