JM Shred with Weights (Kettle bell question)

Options
Going to get started with this dvd. What size kettle bell do i need to get started that is a good challenge but doesn`t KILL me. I want to be able to make it through without stopping.

Leslie

Replies

• sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    First - I've seen many people on here claim that Jillian has pretty bad form with her kettlebells, so if I were you I would watch her DVD first and then look up the moves from another source and see how they're performed so you don't risk some kind of injury.

Second - it's really hard to say because each person is different. I'm using 10 lbs right now (with another DVD) and that's good for me... challenging for a lot of things, actually lol. But you could be fine with 15 or 20 lbs. There is a Jillian Michaels adjustable kettlebell, which she uses in her video. I believe the lowest weight is 5lbs and the max is 20. I think it's in the $40 price range. That's decent if you don't have a lot of room and want a compact weight. However, I bought a kettlebell bundle from Walmart online for $50 that had 10, 15, and 20 lbs kettlebells which is a better deal, since you probably won't ever use the 5 lbs setting.

If you consider yourself to be pretty weak, 10 lbs might be great. Most people recommend 15-20 lbs for women to start out with.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey Leslie! I use a ten right now. You'll love this workout! It's my favourite:)
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've used kbs for a while and love them. Most women can handle a heavier kb than they think. I started with a 15 lb bell and quickly moved to a 25 lb bell.

For some of the best workout vids, check out Lauren Brooks. Her videos are awesome, very much in the vein of teaching you to handle the bells correctly while kicking your backside. There's a reason they call her the Kettlebell Queen. ;o)