Percentages and BACK FAT!

Options
For my friends who need to lose 50 lbs or more - Two questions/observations:

1. Do you ever get a little discouraged that the 17 pounds other people would kill for barely make a dent on you? I've taken pictures every other week as I have been losing, and while I am stoked!! about having lost weight consistently since beginning MFP in January, I am hitting the stage of realizing "This is going to take a WHILE". I feel great. I can tell a difference in the way my clothes fit. But there is such an inequity in how sizes for smaller people run compared to larger people. I've lost 17 pounds, but I haven't lost any clothing sizes just yet. I'm close in my waistband, but not anywhere else. It sucks a little, because (not in my experience, because I've been 220 since I was in the 9th grade) a smaller person would have dropped two sizes with that much change. I was comfortable in a 20, but getting into 18s when I started. Now I'm comfortable in 18s, but the drop into misses sizes from plus is a huge chasm. Just needing an "attagirl", I guess.

I know it has to do with PERCENTAGE of weight lost. I've lost 6.5% of my starting weight. Whereas, if a 140 person lost 17lbs, they'd be losing almost twice that amount, which would make a big difference.

The upside of this is, the more I lose weight wise, the bigger a percentage it will be as I continue, even if it is a smaller number. My next 5% only has to be 12 lbs from where I am now.

Food for thought.

OKAY, now for the second thing....

2. Holy Michelin, Batman - What are some work out tips for BACK FAT?? In all those photos I have taken over the past 9 weeks, I see my stomach getting smaller, but I'm so distracted by the biscuit dough squeezing over and under my bra strap in the back that I don't even notice how well I'm doing.

I tried planking today for the first time. Lasted 90 seconds. My brother and I are trying a friend's challenge to do it every day for a month, and add 5 seconds each day. I thought "No biggie" at first, but by sec.72, I was dying. I get it, now! I started yoga on the wii Fit plus, and I like it too. Got any other great ideas?

Replies

• ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    At my biggest I was 330 lbs and had the same problems you are having.

Unfortunately there is no way to target a specific area. Just keep loosing the weight. I've lost over 100 lbs so far and the last place that I still have fat to loose is in my stomach and back. It's taken me years to get to where I am now but that mid-section is being stubborn!