parents are shocked

Options
Hello there - I was recently talking to my mom on the phone (my parents live a few states away) about my new eating habits. I've always been a bit overweight and this is the first time I've ever lost much weight. After talking to my mom, I sent my parents a new picture via email and I didn't get the reaction I expected. My dad was worried that I have lost too much weight and wants me to eat more.

I follow MFP to the "t" and I'm right in the middle of the healthy BMI. Are they just shocked because I look different than usual? Has anybody else experienced this? I feel great, am eating healthy, nutritious foods, and eat even eat dessert every day! =) But their reaction made me worried.

Replies

• ferris1364
    ferris1364 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello there - I was recently talking to my mom on the phone (my parents live a few states away) about my new eating habits. I've always been a bit overweight and this is the first time I've ever lost much weight. After talking to my mom, I sent my parents a new picture via email and I didn't get the reaction I expected. My dad was worried that I have lost too much weight and wants me to eat more.

I follow MFP to the "t" and I'm right in the middle of the healthy BMI. Are they just shocked because I look different than usual? Has anybody else experienced this? I feel great, am eating healthy, nutritious foods, and eat even eat dessert every day! =) But their reaction made me worried.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yep. My mom told me not to lose any more weight because I'm at my perfect weight. I smiled, nodded, and won't mention the next 26-ish pounds I intend to knock off. I think they're just slight worrywarts about us being healthy. :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Healthy? Or are you tired and sluggish??

If you feel good then dont worry. I dont know how tall you are but at your age I weighed 105 pounds at 5'2" tall and looked excellent.

So it may have just been a shock and they dont understand you are doign this in a healthy way. How about sending them a copy of your daily log. I am a mom of 3 young adults 21,23,26 and I can tell you they might as well be 1,3,6 in my heart!!

They love you!!

:heart:
  • ferris1364
    Options
    Thanks! I've never felt better, honestly. I have tons of energy. I started at 161 and now I'm at 132 at just under 5'5". I think the big shocker for them might be that I used to have big baby cheeks.. and now not so much! :happy:

Its true - they probably are just worry-warts, especially because they live far away and only have a slightly wonky web-cam photo to go by. My dad mentioned protein, so maybe I will send them my daily log. If anything, it'll bore them into not worrying so much! haha.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've never felt better, honestly. I have tons of energy. I started at 161 and now I'm at 132 at just under 5'5". I think the big shocker for them might be that I used to have big baby cheeks.. and now not so much! :happy:

Its true - they probably are just worry-warts, especially because they live far away and only have a slightly wonky web-cam photo to go by. My dad mentioned protein, so maybe I will send them my daily log. If anything, it'll bore them into not worrying so much! haha.

I just know what would work for me!! I would stop worrying if I saw

1 egg white/1 whole egg
    1 slice whole wheat toast
    2 slice bacon

hummus
    6 carrots

Big salad with 4 oz chicken breast............

and so forth!!
  • verifire
    verifire Posts: 44
    Options
    you're at a healthy weight for OUR height. congratulations! sounds like you are doing all the right things to keep it off.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    my parents were and are still shocked after me hitting my goal weight 8 months ago. every time i go home from school they talk about how i'm too thin...yaddayadda.

I think it's just that they aren't used to me looking this way. Eventually they'll come around, and as long as you're healthy, it's okay!

CONGRATS on your weight loss!!
  • last10sue
    last10sue Posts: 3
    Options
    You should know every parent with a child is going to react like your parents did.I'm 42 and my parents still comment on hair ,cloths and weight!! I have three teenage boys who are brutally honest.I weigh 134 pounds on a good day ,and still feel great. I would like to make it 129 ,but won't stress over the last 5 pounds. I'm also 5'4" Good luck on your goals and remember it is love that moviates their behaviour.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You know in large part I think it's a comment on our society... do we as a society REALLY know what a "healthy weight" looks like? We see models who are stick thin - and we KNOW that they're not healthy. We see extremely overweight people and even the "average" person is still somewhat overweight... it's hard to know what "healthy" looks like.

I'm not saying you're a "baby" - but as a mom, I can only relate it to when my son was a baby. My son was a healthy baby boy- but he was not roly-poly. He was breastfed and he was always on the smallish side. People were ALWAYS telling me that I needed to feed him more, how "skinny" he was, that I should start him on "real" food (at 3 months?), etc. It was difficult because the doctors told me that he was "perfect", I KNEW that he was getting enough to eat and yet the pressure to "fatten him up" was incredible! People correlate a little weight with looking "healthy"... but don't think about the extra stress that just 10-20 pounds puts on your body.

If you feel good and your doctor feels that you are at a good weight - then continue doing what you're doing. It sounds like you're at a good weight! Congratulations on your weight loss and your new healthy living!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Sorry.
    It's a Mom Thing.
    :blushing:
  • ferris1364
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, everybody! It has been enlightening to think of it from a parent's perspective.