Increasing calories --- Inital weight gain normal?

Options
So I have been stuck for the past 3 weeks with no weight loss. I finally decided to up my calorie intake, as my body bugg was showing 3200 calories burned on workout days, and 2700 on non workout days. I have increased my calorie intake to 1800 - 2200 for the past couple of days.
Is it normal to intitally see a weight gain? And if so when do you see the weight start to come off?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Food has mass--so if you eat more of it you'll weigh slightly more until it PASSES. Consistency is key. More fat, less bulky veggies, loads of water, and ENOUGH (not too much) fiber (30-40g is sufficient). Give it time, don't freak out, it is COMPLETELY normal!!!

Great job upping the calories :)
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, totally normal.

Check out the group on here "Eat More To Weigh Less". You will find some really great resources and lots of other women who are eating more and fueling their bodies! Great resource and encouragement!!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes! The amount depends on many factors. For me, I had severe glycogen depletion so I gained a lot of water weight very quickly but I stabilised within 3 weeks, and the good news is that I stayed the same clothes size ;) I would advise you give the scale a miss for a couple of weeks. No point freaking out over something temporary when you're doing a great thing for your body.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i've been at increased calories for a month now and saw a gain of 4lbs at the peak! Mostly it was yoyoing between the same 4lbs though. I'm finally this last week stablized- no yoyoing and a couple of days ago dropped back to my lowest/pre-cal increase weight so I'd say (and have been told by others) give it a good six weeks before re-adjusting. congrats on upping calories! YAY FOOD!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Food has mass--so if you eat more of it you'll weigh slightly more until it PASSES. Consistency is key. More fat, less bulky veggies, loads of water, and ENOUGH (not too much) fiber (30-40g is sufficient). Give it time, don't freak out, it is COMPLETELY normal!!!

Great job upping the calories :)

This exactly!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, its normal. When I upped my calories, I saw a slight gain for about two weeks. Just ride this phase out - it will pass.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Have you taken any measurements?
    That may tell you more then the scale.
    You could be gaining more muscle from you workouts.
    Happens more then people know.
    I been stuck at same weight for a while but my belt and pants keep growing bigger.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i've been experiencing this although i'm not weighing for several more weeks... initially my weight had gone up abuot 4 lb from where i was... it's been a few weeks now so i'm hoping to see it come back down. eating around 1700-1800 a day now. i think my BMR is 1300 and I work out 6x a week, burn about 250 calories each time. so i could probably eat even more than 1800 but i'm waiting a bit to see if this stabilizes.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's true that an initial weight gain is normal, but the reasons given aren't exactly correct.

"Eating more to lose more" only works if your metabolism has been depressed due to being in a perceived state of starvation. Once you eliminate the starvation conditions, you will burn more calories. Ideally, the increase in calories burned will exceed the increase in calories consumed. It takes time, up to a couple weeks or more, for your metabolism to rebound to this state. In the meantime you will gain weight.