Should I....

Options
Nessc
Nessc Posts: 137 Member
keep a job that is making me miserable? I do homebound teaching for a fourth grade student and I feel like I am being caught in the middle. The child tells me one thing, his mom another thing and it's causing a lot of problems. For instance, the child told me he was ready to take a test, I gave it to him, he made a 0, and his mom is upset because I gave the test to him to start with. I meet with the kid 1 1/2 hours a day Mon through Thurs. I don't get to teach him anything because all I'm doing is test, test, test. For all you teachers out there, have any of you done this sort of work before...How did you survive it? I'm ready to throw in the towel and just quit wasting my time, after all, I think he is going to fail the 4th grade anyway because he's so far behind and we only have 25 days of school left. Any advice?

Replies

• Nessc
    Nessc Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    keep a job that is making me miserable? I do homebound teaching for a fourth grade student and I feel like I am being caught in the middle. The child tells me one thing, his mom another thing and it's causing a lot of problems. For instance, the child told me he was ready to take a test, I gave it to him, he made a 0, and his mom is upset because I gave the test to him to start with. I meet with the kid 1 1/2 hours a day Mon through Thurs. I don't get to teach him anything because all I'm doing is test, test, test. For all you teachers out there, have any of you done this sort of work before...How did you survive it? I'm ready to throw in the towel and just quit wasting my time, after all, I think he is going to fail the 4th grade anyway because he's so far behind and we only have 25 days of school left. Any advice?
  • lnwallace
    lnwallace Posts: 11
    Options
    I have never done what you are doing, but the constant testing kills the love for teaching! You somehow need to find away to cut the testing and just do the teaching. Maybe once a week? Spend the rest of the time doing just plain learnin' and teachin'! I always told my parents that they should believe one third of what their children tell them about me and in turn I'll believe one third of what their children tell me about them! :noway:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled a 3rd grader I totally had to quit...finish out your commitment and move on to something different....
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    I agree. Find something you love. It is possible to do something you love and make a fortune.