Some concerns about sodium.....???????

Options
I'm new here and I start to do my targeted calories and carbs, the thing is that when I saw my full report my sodium level are high that concerns me a lot. Can anybody tell me something about it????? Is that the norm because I use some pre-maids meals. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• jamesfit99
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet (under 1500 mg/day) so I focus on my sodium actually more than my calories.

Unless you have high blood pressure, are over (50 I think?) or are Afro American, then 2,500 is a recommended limit that I wouldn't exceed. If you fall into one of the higher risk groups mentioned, than under 1,500 might be better.

You'll soon enough see where you're getting your xtra sodium by studying your food log. Very handy.

But in general, sodium is rampant in processed foods, canned soups, and in most restaurant meals. In general, very little sodium, if any, in fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, and fresh fish or unprocessed meats.

You mention "pre-made meals", another high source of sodium. That said, there are a number of lower sodium choices out there for pre-made meals. "Amy's low sodium" line is one, as well as selected entries from Healthy Choice -- I believe their steamer line, for example.

You should also find several brands of low sodium soups (Health Valley if I remember correctly) at the market or your local health food store. Same with low sodium versions of canned salmon and tuna.Lacey's lower sodium -- lower fat Swiss Cheese is one of my favorites.

Really just gotta look around and read all the labels. And if you can't find too many choices, you can always ask the store manager to look into ordering some.

-- James
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most canned foods and pre-packaged meals are really high in sodium. It makes you wonder how much sodium people are getting who eat nothing but pre-made meals, fast food, and junk food all day.

The more you switch to home-cooked meals, avoid canned and pre-made meals, the less sodium you'll have to deal with.

However, the jury's still out on whether eating a lot of sodium is actually all that bad. For those with high blood pressure, it's definitely a worry. For everyone else, there is no substantial proof either way.

Do what you can to cut it, but don't break too much of a sweat over it.