What's your fave veggie?

Options
Okay, so I'm going to buy some veggies and try them out. I want to know what you're faves are, and how you prepare them! Details please, so I know what to buy and how to do it. :) I'm a new cooker haha.

Replies

• ummmkristin
    ummmkristin Posts: 21
    Options
    Okay, so I'm going to buy some veggies and try them out. I want to know what you're faves are, and how you prepare them! Details please, so I know what to buy and how to do it. :) I'm a new cooker haha.
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brocolli!!! I use pam and garlic and saute them up super yummy and also low fat. I also like cucumbers raw with some lowfat or fat free ranch to dip them in.
  • decard
    decard Posts: 4
    Options
    I love tomatoes. The only problem is I like them with lots of salt.
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms or Black Olives!!! :heart:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Artichokes! Ideally, I like them steamed, but often I boil them for convenience (because I don't have a steamer) They can also be "steamed" in the microwave. Then served with some olive oil and garlic or melted butter to dip the leaves and heart in. MMMM.... :heart:
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MMMMM....... Asparagus! I just boil them because I'm lazy. But steaming them is the best.

And though tomatoes are actually a fruit..... they go better as a vegetable in terms of mixing. I like to add a few plum tomatoes on the side (uncooked).
  • shuttletat
    shuttletat Posts: 44
    Options
    I like celery with peanut butter on it. Also love brussel sprouts. I buy the frozen and just cook them till tender in a little water and season with a little butter and salt. Chinese cabbage, Napa, and Bok Choy are great in a veggie saute with a little butter and soy sauce or try one of them sauteed with tofu or cooked chicken and a good salad dressing like Drew's orange sesame. Yummm! Fresh slices of sweet peppers are great for just plain munching!:drinker:
  • verifire
    verifire Posts: 44
    Options
    red, orange, and yellow peppers, sauteed in a pan for a LONG time in lots of olive oil. or just raw. best vegetable EVER.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    MMMMM....... Asparagus! I just boil them because I'm lazy. But steaming them is the best.

And though tomatoes are actually a fruit..... they go better as a vegetable in terms of mixing. I like to add a few plum tomatoes on the side (uncooked).

I LOVE Asparagus! I either steam them or cook them on the grill :love:
  • AshliColon
    AshliColon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My latest fav is Jicama! My mom shared this with me: slice it into sticks, drizzle with lime juice and season it with Ms. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning. So yummy! Dipped into Athenos Spicy Three Pepper Hummus is :heart: heaven :heart:

--ash
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I love throwing any veggie on the grill! Mix red, yellow, orange, and green peppers with chicken for cabobs!!! you can put just about anything in tin foil and grill as well!
  • meaganrh
    meaganrh Posts: 24
    Options
    I love love love Raw, Fresh, Green veggies, Snap Peas, Brocolli, Celery, Cucumbers, Zuchinni, Green Peppers.
    With a bit of low fat dressing to dip them in. mmm.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I love edamame. They come frozen, shelled; I put a handful into the microwave and munch on them like they are popcorn. My favorite veggie dish is a Bulgarian salad, you chop up a peeled cucumber, a big tomato, and half a bell pepper (or the whole if you like bell pepper a lot); a tiny bit of lemon juice and fat free crumbled feta on top, and voila, you have a super filling, super low calorie meal! If you use 30 gram feta, the whole thing is 182 calories!! And it's a lot of food!!!
    I also just made an excellent eggplant spread: One eggplant, poked with fork, baked in the oven until wrinkled (about 20-25 minutes in 350). Let it cool, peel it, cut it up to small cubes. (My version says you should salt it, let it sit for an hour, rinse it, but you might skip this part if you want a quick dinner.) Little chopped onion, small amount of crushed garlic, chopped cilantro, a teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/4 cup of roasted pine nuts (I dry roast them in a small pan) and if you like it hot, a pinch of cayenne pepper. This will make 6 servings, and one serving is 78 calories. If I have a lot of calories left, I eat it on pita bread (130 cal) if not, with Wasa crisp bread (35 cal). I also like a bit of fat free sour cream on top.....

Good luck!
  • TANKENEY32
    TANKENEY32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    FRESH CAULIFLOWER!! YUMMY!!
  • bathedinshadow
    Options

I LOVE Asparagus! I either steam them or cook them on the grill :love:

AND... they are one of the best for you! :drinker: :drinker:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Any veg baked in the oven, spray with pam or lightly coat with olive oil and a little salt, broccoli, asparagas, etc.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Asparagus drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt roasted!!! The absolute best. :smile:
  • bathedinshadow
    Options
    Asparagus drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt roasted!!! The absolute best. :smile:

Yes..... all aboard the asparaBus! Oh god it's late! haha.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Squash and zucchini. Sometimes I slice them and put them in a baking dish then sprinkle with whatever spices I'm feeling like that day...bake until they are tender but not mushy. Yummy.
  • PilotsWife
    PilotsWife Posts: 2
    Options
    My husband is vegetarian, which leaves me to eating veggies 80% of the time. I make a broccoli quiche, with broccoli, lowfat cottage cheese, eggs and low fat shredded cheddar cheese. It works well as a main dish and I usually toss up a salad as a side.

Also, Tomatoes are good with anything !!!