Anyone else's toes/feet go numb when working out?

Options
I have been working out for about 6 months now. Tried several different pairs of tennis shoes, finally landed on a nice asic trail/all purpose shoe with a medium arch, and I got them a half size bigger than I normally wear, to allow comfort when running and working out. Doesn't matter what shoe I wear or what size, after about 10 minutes on the elliptical and a little longer on a treadmill, my feet go numb, starting with my toes and working its way up to my ankles. It gets so sharp and painful that I have to get off and speed walk to keep my heart rate up but until I get the feeling back in my feet, and then I have to do that every 7 minutes. It is annoying and painful and makes me not want to work out. It doesn't happen when I do Jillian Michaels or other workouts. Just running on the treadmill or elliptical. I tried adjusting the angle, doesn't help. Anyone else every heard of or have this problem? I have asked around and no one else has heard of it or has anything to offer to help. I am getting discouraged.

Replies

• martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump cos my feet do this on the elliptical, given up on the treadmill cos the pain spreads up to my ip on the right hand side.

I now take my trainers off and use the elliptical barefoot which has helped and I do 30 mins and 5 mins cool down mxx
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I have the same problem.
  • katiesmama06
    Options
    Bump as well. 20 minutes in and I have pins and needles, similar to the feeling of my foot falling asleep.
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to get this. Turns out my trainers were too tight! Maybe try tying the laces in different ways. Sounds dumb, but makes a big difference.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time (especially on the elliptical). All I can say is that it went away during my c25k training. I assumed the gradual progression of the program helped my body adjust to whatever was going on.
  • grievero
    grievero Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi~

I'm an acupuncturist and an exercise physiologist. One of the problems with foot gear and running/elliptical is the rubbing motion on the nerves that run through the top of your feet and the compression on the bottom. I used to have this same feeling happen when I would wear my ski boots. One fix can be to try when you lace your shoes to keep them loosely laced at the high point of your arch and then tighten them to normal where you tie them. That's the most common area of rubbing. If it continues, you may want to consider one of the five fingers style of athletic shoe that fits more snuggly to your feet and is designed to mimic barefoot exercise. It would reduce the rub across the nerves.

The problem won't occur during an exercise video because the action through your feet is constantly changing.

I hope this helps!
    Robyn
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It can be to do with bad circulation in your legs. When showering, alternate between really hot and really cold on your legs. Do this after every gym session. It should help. it definately worked when I was on my feet all day working as a waiter.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    I used to have this. You either need to purchase better fitting shoes, or make do with it until it doesn't happen. I used to go 10 minutes on the elliptical and have to get off because it was that irritating, but now I can go an hour at a time and it doesn't bother me. :) That was mainly due to the fact I was borrowing my mum's trainers because I lost my own, and she is a size too small for me. Also, maybe the way you're using the machines is a little funny, so you could try adjusting your footing, though there isn't much variation for that. Hope this helps! :) x
  • bcmehl
    bcmehl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have those feelings in my feet, but I do get them in my leg, especially when I am walking long distances. I don't have the problem with my shoes being too tight and I have lost 47 lbs so far, so I am not sure as to why it is happening. Anyone else having this problem too?
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Funny! The girl on the elliptical next to me the other night over heard me tell my friend about that. She said she researched it and also saw a podiatrist, and she needed arch support inserts. This is apparently very common with the elliptical because the foot beds you stand on are so flat. So is a treadmill. Outdoor running you have variations so it doesnt happen then. She said look it up on WebMD. See a foot doctor, or just try a bunch of arch inserts. I am going to do some reading up this weekend.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have always had this on the elliptical and only the elliptical no matter what shoes (and I even tried it barefoot) I think it is something about the movement on the elliptical - what I do is occasionally lift my feet (usually it is more my right than left but I have a chronic left leg problem so I probably put more of my body weight on my right without realizing it) and I find that periodic switching to backwards elliptical ( rotating my legs back, not standing facing backwards :-) ) helps a lot
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Maybe you find cardio boring like me and your body just wants to sleep ? I had that issue also.. but my shoes were not tight at all...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I had this problem as well, I just found out that I was tying my shoes too tightly! :embarassed:
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue, but figured out that if I start to feel it coming on, start wiggling your toes. It will get the circulation moving again in your lower extremeties. I have only ever had this problem on machines like ellipticals where your feet (toes) are relatively stationary.

Hope this helps!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I get this, too. I bought new arch supports and played around with different levels and paces on the elliptical machine. I finally found an elevation (7) and a slower pace that slows down the numbing so it doesn't begin for about 20 minutes. That's the best I'v e been able to do. I just keep picking up and flexing my feet for the last 20 minutes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    As others have said, try not tying your shoes as tightly. Your feet swell when you work out.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I once started a thread on this problem, which occurs when I use the eliptical or treadmill. I've tried taking my shoes off, loosening the laces, changing sneakers, wearing slippers, lifting my feet...no change. I think I have bad circulation in my legs because my feet get really cold a lot and they swell even though I get lots of water in. Sometimes I can't warm them up at all. I try not to sit in one place for long periods of time. I figure I'm just getting old. :smile:
  • aptipton
    aptipton Posts: 13
    Options
    Glad to find this thread as I've been having this issue for 2 months. It is only one foot--my left and it feels like I'm standing on burning coals about 20 to 30 minutes into the elipitcal or similar machine. I bought new shoes, special ftted shoes to boot, loosened the laces and try different socks. It's funny but certain socks make it worse. I need to try the arch support as I think that may be my issue.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issue. My big toe on my my right foot in particular goes numb after being on the elliptical for a while. I will try loosening my laces and see if that helps.
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump