Not losing as much as I expected...inches or weight

Options
eig6
eig6 Posts: 249 Member
I hired a personal trainer two weeks ago and have been calorie counting for three weeks (only one of those on mfp). I expected to lose weight/inches rather quickly, especially since the workouts have been grueling, but I haven't. I lost one pound last week, but then I gained it back. I havent lost inches. Im eating 1200 calories and going to the gym 4x a week, twice with the trainer and twice on my own. I thought weight was supposed to come off easily at the start. I was hoping to lose 1-2 lbs a week, or just see difference in the way I look. What am i doing wrong?

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough. you should be eating the calories that your body is burning through exercise.
  • jmcgintee
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 calories whether you exercise or not? You need to eat back the calories you burn exercising. If you don't eat enough, your body will cling to any extra calorie it can get, making it more difficult to loose weight/inches. good luck
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Is that 1200 calories total or NET? If you're doing crazy workouts, you are probably not eating enough food for your body to feel like it can let go of the poundage.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary public it's easier to give a better answer...
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have already said, you should know this: It's going to take more than 2-3 weeks, even with a personal trainer. I doubt you'd see much progress before 5-7 weeks, unless you're trying to lose a large amount of weight. You might see the scale move 2 pounds or so, but it's too soon to expect to lose inches.

It looks like you only want to lose 20 pounds, and from a starting weight of 120? That's going to go even slower, especially if you're any taller than, say, 5'1.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    By your ticker, you want to go from 120 lbs to 100. Even if you're very, very short, you're already a healthy weight. When you're a healthy weight, pounds and inches come off very slowly. Is 100 pounds even a realistic goal?
  • 4jamiec
    4jamiec Posts: 7
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories, your body will hold on to the calories you do eat and turn it into fat. This is the body's way to store what it needs to keep from starving. I have done this to myself for years as I'm just not a big eater, one meal a day is all I need, however, my body (and yours) needs more to survive.
  • eig6
    Options
    1200, everyday, exercise or not. It seams counterproductive to eat the calories I burn while exercising. My goal is to have a greater calorie deficit right? Why exercise if I just it the calories I worked so hard to burn?
  • eig6
    Options
    Yes, Im very short, 4'11'', so 100 is realistic for me.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    1200, everyday, exercise or not. It seams counterproductive to eat the calories I burn while exercising. My goal is to have a greater calorie deficit right? Why exercise if I just it the calories I worked so hard to burn?

because you need a certain amount of calories for daily function and if you don't get that, then your body will suffer. it will start to hold on to everything you eat. just try eating back your exercise calories for a week and you'll be glad you did.
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    you eat your exercise calories back because those are the calories your body needs to keep your organs functioning. if you burn them all during exercise, your body doesn't have anything left to burn for daily functions. so you do need to eat more.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There are many threads on this forum about eating back exercise calories, I think most people have the same 'huuuuuuuuuh?' reaction when they first hear about it but it makes sense and it works - the vast majority of MFP members do it and have had great success. Just browse the forum a little for 'eating back exercise calories'.

Also as others have said it sounds like your body is already at a healthy weight - what height are you? If your BMI is around in the low to mid 20s it is going to be a loooooot harder to lose weight than if it were in the low to mid 30s or 40s etc
  • eig6
    Options
    In addition to what others have already said, you should know this: It's going to take more than 2-3 weeks, even with a personal trainer. I doubt you'd see much progress before 5-7 weeks, unless you're trying to lose a large amount of weight. You might see the scale move 2 pounds or so, but it's too soon to expect to lose inches.

It looks like you only want to lose 20 pounds, and from a starting weight of 120? That's going to go even slower, especially if you're any taller than, say, 5'1.

Actually I didnt already know this, 5-7 weeks? I though people lost 1-2lbs a week? Will it really take me 5 weeks to lose a lbs?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean, it seems like a silly thing to do, exercise to loose weight when you can just do it by diet... I always eat my exercise calories as i have been told to, but i do see how it doesn't make sense...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    your goal should be to reach your calorie goals. greater deficits arent in your best intrest, tbh
    i net 1845 (absolutely no lower than 1535) and eat as much as 2500 on exercise days, and lose just fine.
    i understand youre shorter than me, and i have more to lose, but it doesnt change the fact that the biggest success stories around here are from people easting their exercise calories
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options

Actually I didnt already know this, 5-7 weeks? I though people lost 1-2lbs a week? Will it really take me 5 weeks to lose a lbs?

oh he** ya it will.. I have been trying to loose 10-15 lbs since Oct 22nd and i have only lost 7-8lbs. I haven't lost anything in 2.5 months at all!!! i just bounce the same 2 lbs up and down!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's possible that you arent burning as many calories as you think you are. do you wear an HRM?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

There is a point where your deficit gets too great and your body is not getting enough, both of calories and of nutrients. When I was working with a trainer a few years ago, I was eating 1600 calories a day total (with a lot of working out) and losing pretty well. When you exercise, your body needs more to keep going and that "allows" (or requires) you to eat more. If you aren't getting enough, your metabolism will tank and you won't lose much at all.

I am 5'0" (maybe 1/2"...) and I was smokin' at 120. Might I suggest you look more at toning and getting your body fat % to around 20% rather than simply the pounds. It will make you stronger, more able to do day-to-day things, more resilient, and able to maintain your weight at a higher calorie count.
    Either way, it might be helpful to make sure you consult with your doctor about your goal weight; there is such a thing as being "underweight" (I don't know the numbers for your height).
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

The healthiest rate of weight loss is 1 lb a week. So you probably wont start noticing changes until about 5 lbs lost, expect it to take about 5 weeks for that loss. If you want to lose 20lbs you should expect it to take 20 weeks. I know it sounds crazy and it drives me nuts too, but some weeks you will lose 5 lbs, and other weeks you wont lose a thing so it's not exact. If you keep at it you WILL start to lose weight. Since you are petite it will be slower. The smaller you are the harder those lbs hold on. It WILL happen, just stick with it!
  • shoyrob
    shoyrob Posts: 25
    Options
    This website will kinda show you how much calories you should be eating to maintain or lose weight. It base by height, age and current weight. Plus it gives you a zig zag calorie pattern that you can follow throughout the week. Good luck....Don't lose Faith....

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm