Flower in my picture?

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
Can anyone tell me what the flower is in my photo?

I live in southern Arizona,and I have been seeing them lately on the sides of the road. I would love to grow something like it in my yard. It is a great color!

From my google search I seem to only be matching up with Mexican sage. But the mexican sage seems to grow in a bush, and the flower in my photo looks as though it stems out from the ground. I do tend to find them in clumps. They are rarely taller than a foot.

Can you guys help me figure it out?

Here is a larger view:
flower-1.jpg

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    It looks like wild Lupine to me?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Thanks, still looking! they don't seem to be growing on a bush and all the google images I am finding are very bushy.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    looks like blue lupine. this stuff grows wild all over the place... it lines the roads in alaska even
  • thefoodnerd
    thefoodnerd Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is definitely a lupin. Its just very early and hasnt gotten a change to grow. Nice find! :)
  • sarah44254
    Options
    It is not a blue bonnet? or is that a sort of lupin.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Texas/Flower_Bluebonnet.html
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I guess Lupin is just the family name of the kind of flower. I'm learning quite a bit here. :)

I searched for Lupinus subcarnosus and found this image:
    mdLupinus_subcarnosus1.jpg
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    blue bonnet is a lupine. very pretty and I do believe you can buy seed for these. If not, you may just be able to transplant some in your yard. they should spread rather quickly!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was thinking blue bonnet - looks like my state flower that is all over right now. :)
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I live in an area ruled over by an HOA so I am checking through our 'approved plant list' now. I hope they are allowed, they are so pretty!
  • mred93
    mred93 Posts: 100
    Options
    I would think salvia leucantha or lupine
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Thank you guys.

Unfortunately, I cannot find these on my approved plant list for my home. I can plant them in my backyard though so that is a thought. :)

I found this on my plant list for the front yard though.

Ajuga Reptans ' purpurea'
    AjugaReptans050501.jpg
    They look to me to be similar. I hope they are. I will look into visiting a greenhouse and ask them, too!