scared, intimidated...

Options
by the spinning class at my gym. I walk buy it all the time, but I am afraid to try it. I am afraid this fat girl will die trying a class, or that people will look at me like "what is that fat girl doing in here" especially if I cant keep up at first.... one day I will try it.... :ohwell:

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    by the spinning class at my gym. I walk buy it all the time, but I am afraid to try it. I am afraid this fat girl will die trying a class, or that people will look at me like "what is that fat girl doing in here" especially if I cant keep up at first.... one day I will try it.... :ohwell:
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I use the spinning Bike at the gym - im also a bit scared to go into a class.. but they look like a lot of hard work... Have a go - everyone is there for the same reason - to loose weight and tone! I hope you do try as you work your butt off and at the end of it you feel amazing...
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You know, I felt, and sometimes feel, the same way before attending pretty much any class, especially the spinning. My now fiance and I went to one a while back pretty much cold. We hadn't really been exercising and we'd never been to a spinning class. We did struggle, but it was even a little fun. The next time, it was even more fun. You just have to get into it. And, no one laughed at us, either!

Later, when we started to bike on little trails and stuff, we would joke around about spinning class things and it made it more fun.

So after my rambling, I say give it a shot. If people look down on you, that's all on them, not you. I would consider you better than them because you're going for something you care about.

I hope this makes sense to you.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. There's no rule or law stating that a 'fat girl' can't start her exercise regimen at a spin class.

On the contrary, you can find inspiration (if you allow yourself to) in something like this, and them in you, and it would give you a chance to show off your progress IRL.

Just some thoughts......
  • HopTuNaa
    HopTuNaa Posts: 31
    Options
    I went to my first spinning class last week - I've always been scared to go in.... but just bit the bullet and did it. Totally loved it! I think everyone in there was much fitter than me, but it didn't matter. Everybody is concentrating on themselves and having fun - nobody will laugh at you, and you will wish you'd gone sooner. I can't wait to go again now. :happy:
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. The only time I have been to gyms, they have been filled with very fit and slim men and women. I would be terrified. I am not the type of personality that can just ignore it and move on.
    I do plan on joining one at some point, but I am holding off until I lose a lot more weight and I am needing more in the line of toning than weight loss. It is probably smarter to do that for my knees as well.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Something to ponder on....Do you really care or plan to make acquaintances with anyone that would pick fun at a "fat" person in the gym trying to better themself? ...Do your thing and make the class all about you..its not about keeping up with anyone..its about you joining in because its something you want to do...dont worry about what others are thinking..if they were thinking negative in the end its their loss...they could concentrate harder on their own workouts and less on you...Hugs go for it!
  • joeysmuse
    joeysmuse Posts: 87
    Options
    , or that people will look at me like "what is that fat girl doing in here" especially if I cant keep up at first....
    the fat girl is doing the same thing every one else is...you don't really think they never had anything to loose do you???
  • manda1111
    manda1111 Posts: 113
    Options
    There is a reason that you are drawn to somet hings and not others you should honor that interest by at least giving yourself a chance. The classes are open which means ou have just as much a right to be there as any one else, the question is do you believe that? Do you think that you deserve any oppertunity to love yourself by getting healthy or only the easy/ for inexperienced ones? I think you deserve them all, you should go for it.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I was also that "fat girl" in the spinning class. I only got loads of support from the people there. Everyone is there for the same thing - to get healthy/stay healthy, and they all know it.

The teacher was excellent, too. She told me (and other new ones) just to do what you can, sit when you need, etc. Spinning's my favorite class to take now! :-)
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Like what everyoneelse is saying, I think you'd be surprised at the response you would get. I think it would be supportive. You'll never know unless you try...and personally I don't like to have regrets! Good luck! You can do it!:smile:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    new classes in general are scary because you dont know anyone and you have never done it. TRY IT and maybe take a friend for support. You will feel so good once you are in there working out!
  • RD2be
    RD2be Posts: 10
    Options
    The great part about spinning classes is that you can do everything at the pace and resistance you feel comfortable with. The instructor is there to motivate you and of course, make you sweat a bit ;) but you choose your speed and you choose how hard you want to pump those pedals!

I think you'll enjoy it! It is my favorite class at the gym. (be prepared to have a sore bum for a day or two though from the seat if you aren't used to biking)
  • GoDoAndBe
    GoDoAndBe Posts: 20
    Options
    Spinning classes at my gym are an hour long. Hop on a bike when there is no class and see how long you can push yourself. If you can do it for half the normal class time without the encouragement of an instructor then you should be able to go the full time in class - at your own pace!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    As a regular member of a really intense cycling class, allow me to share with you the secret thoughts of others in the class with you:

"AGH MY HAMSTRINGS ARE BURNING!" :explode:
    "...This seat hurts bones I didn't know I had..." :ohwell:
    "How is the instructor pedaling that fast?!?!":noway:
    "Oh great, I got the squeaky obnoxious bike!" :embarassed:
    "IT'S ONLY BEEN 15 MINUTES?!?!" :sad:

See? Nothing in there about anyone else. I promise. Go and you will feel very pleased with yourself afterward. :smile:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just thought of something else. I'm taking Chemistry right now. The teacher always writes on the board right in front me. Purely innocent, I noticed she has the greatest butt! I wish my butt was half as nice as hers. I'm more of a flat butt girl. I found out she takes and teaches spinning classes. I really wanted to take a spinning class as soon as I found that out.:laugh:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone, even my really active and fit friends, that would poke fun at someone for trying to better themselves at the gym. I would like to think that they would think to themselves "Good for them!"

You can't allow what someone else *might* think of you keep you from doing your thing. It's their problem, not yours.

Go for it!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a belly dancing class ( and trust me I have lots of belly to dance). The first night I was so nervous that the rest of the class would think I didn't belong there. I went thinking that I could always drop out if it was too bad.

I loved it! There was a variety of shapes and sizes in the class and we all encourage each other. If you step out of your comfort zone, you will be amazed at what you can do!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for motivation... i broke down and went to the spinning class this morning, just got home, tiiirrred!

The instructor was very nice and explained everything well. It probably didn't hurt that there were two other noobs in class too...

The instructor noticed I was wearing a HRM and asked if she could see the numbers.. showed her and she seemed happy for me.... according to my HRM I cycled for 45 minutes and burned 700 calories... I may not be able to get up from my desk later but if I can walk tomorrow Im going back for more!

again, thank you everyone for your motivation to get me to try it!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It may help to speak with the instructor in advance of the class, she can show you how to setup the bike and such. Although most people in the class are very willing to help as well! Also, you can use whatever tension is comfortable for you on the bikes and advance at your own level. You may think others are watching you but everyone is a bit more concerned with how they themselves look :smile:

Also, ask which of the spinning classes are more low key, they usually have varying levels. Try it and have fun, you will be proud of yourself that you did! :happy: