weird topic: urinating more whilst dieting

Hi,
It seems a bit weird me asking this but, i started my diet a week ago and the amount of times i've been going to the toilet have at least doubled, could anyone tell me whether this is normal or if i should possibly do something about it. also a explanation as to why if possible.
Thanks
jess :)

Replies

• christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Probably normal lol. As soon as my water intake increased and my sodium intake decreased, I peed maybe 2-4 times an hour on average for a few days. Now it's maybe once every hour or two.
  • With any luck, it means you have been drinking closer to your correct intake of water, and your body is getting used to processing that much liquid. Peeing more is a normal and good sign of hydration. I find that after a couple of weeks, the bladder settles down a bit and you won't be running to the loo every 15 minutes :D
  • anj911
    anj911 Posts: 56 Member
    Could be because you're drinking more fluid, or because the food you are eating has a higher water content, or you could be losing water weight? I'm sure someone more knowledgable will reply shortly :wink:
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    eating less drinking more, god i wee soooooooooooo much:blushing: on the plus side tho running up and down the stairs kinda counts as a workout!
    i am pretty sure its just a normal part of dieting and or changing the foods you would normally eat x:smile:
  • jessof89
    jessof89 Posts: 23
    haha thanks for the reassurance guys, was thinking a trip to the docs might of been on the cards :O
    yeah i'm peeing all the time feel like a duck lol, if it carrys on im going to need a toilet next to my desk lol. :)
  • drickb
    drickb Posts: 1
    Thank for asking the question because I have experienced the same thing too!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    same happens to me. i think it is because I drink more water and try to eat more protein to feel full. proteins make you pee more.
  • jessof89
    Glad that it sorted it out for you to drickb :)
  • amberjean30
    amberjean30 Posts: 24 Member
    I think it happens to all of us! It's a good thing, don't worry. Have a little patience and it will slow down:happy:
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    don't forget to use the toilets furthest away from your desk for extra exercise! :smile:
  • jessof89
    Haha i'll try its pretty persistant :)
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 149 Member
    It's normal as each each lb of fat contains water (5-30%) and so this has to be released but also increase in drinking water and fluid rich fruit, veg etc can have an effect

refs: http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/adipose/adipose.html
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Glycogen (our main storage form for glucose) binds water at a 1 to 2 ratio. So if you burn 1000 kcals (equivalent to 250 gms of glucose/glycogen), you release 500 ml of water.

Burning fat can also produce water, but at a smaller amount (100 gms of fat produce 100 ml of water).

You also tend to drink more water than required when dieting/hungry/exercising.