Does anyone track their salt intake?

Options
Yesterday I got on the scale and I had lost over 3 lbs and this morning I got on the scale again and had over night gained over 2lbs. Well I was like how in the heck did I gain that much over night so I though about it and could only come up with one thing, SALT. So I went to my settings and I am now tracking my soidum intake. But I also went back to my tracked food from yesterday and what do I see my soidum was way out there I am a busy person so alot of my food is either mircowave or out of a can so its no wonder my weight was up over 2lbs in one day. I am going to try and eat less of this stuff since I know its not good for me but sometimes finding the time to cook is hard but I also know I can do it. Why do losing weight have to be so hard? Plus getting older sucks because you lose weight so darn slow. Oh well I want to be heathy and look better so time to get off my soap box and just do it.

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I am tracking my sodium intake. Any time I eat out, eat red meat, or eat a large frozen dinner (I can usually get by with a small one like a Meals for Life), I end up over my sodium goal. I have my goal set to 2300.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I just added sodium intake on my diary today and WOW!!! was I shocked to see how much I was intaking.....YIKES! No wonder I was always thirsty....LOL.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I track mine too. I am surprised when I see someone trying to lose weight who doesn't!

Wow that athensguy is good looking... had to edit for that...!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    YES!! You would be surprised how much sodium is in everything, and how much you actually consume without adding additional salt. It DOES make a difference in whether you retrain.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yep - definitely tracking sodium. Anytime I eat out, it is too high!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yes I track my sodium-protein-fat and fiber.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't care about salt at all!!

calories and a moderation in all things :)
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I track mine, It helps a lot. ^.^
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i track mine - my diary is open :o)
  • warnerl1
    warnerl1 Posts: 25
    Options
    I track my sodium because I have kidney stones and that is one of my big causes. My boyfriend graduated with a Personal Training degree and in his classes they teach that sodium is the number one thing that people eat too much of. It is in everything and it is almost impossible to be under your goal consistently everyday. A good way to counter balance that is to obviously drink more water. I believe that the daily amount of water that we are supposed to drink keeps increasing because of how much salt we eat. Unfortunately I love salt lol Probably a big reason I started getting kidney stones in the first place!
  • Annaflower
    Options
    Sodium is evil! :devil:

Has to be tracked it makes a massive difference to water retention.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I track mine because I notice when I go high first my blood pressure goes up and second I gain a lot of weight that is all bloating. I try very hard to stay under and drink a lot of water.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Make extra portions of food and freeze them then you can just reheat them in the microwave when you don't have much time.
    :)
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I track salt to be healthy, not to lose weight. I need that "reminder" that prepared foods often are filling up my body with salt, even if it doesn't taste "salty". On those days I make sure to drink more than the 8 suggested glasses of water a day and try to refrain from having the items in the first place.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    what about if you continously eat a fair amount of salt, would you be less affected by the fluctation? you should still see loss no?
  • tvl0308
    tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I track mine, cause if i don't, I am in big trouble to gain. I was surprised when i put in celery and that has sodium in it. I try to stay away from the canned stuff and the frozen meals. They have a lot of sodium in them. I use frozen veggies or fresh. :)
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I track mine as well. It was shocking to me how much I ate. I had NO idea. My blood pressure is just a little higher than normal, so I am trying to nip that in the bud before it becomes a problem, so I try to stay under 1500mg of sodium instead of the regular 2500, and OMG that was so hard at first! I really thought it was impossible. I gave up about a million times.

My advice would be to slowly start replacing canned/processed food with fresh. It's not always possible, but if you start with one thing at a time, it won't be as overwhelming. I used to use a lot of canned vegetables in recipes, now I pretty much always use fresh except for canned beans (which I buy low sodium). I just try to eat mainly fresh stuff, stay around the perimeter of the grocery store and all that boring stuff :)

It's hard but you can do it! baby steps...
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I always track my sodium intake.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've had issues in the past with swollen feet & ankles. Since I joined MFP & changed my eating habits this hasn't been an issue, still I am borderline for high blood pressure so after speaking with my doctor I manually changed mine to 2200. I agree losing weight when you are over 40 is challenging. The best advice I can offer anyone is to plan.

Today I will go shopping and tomorrow evening is food prep. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian so for me this means I boil half a dozen eggs, cut up fruit and veg for grab and go eating. make a pot of beans and a pot of whatever grain I will use. During the week I just mix and match to make quick easy meals in under 15 mins. No microwave or heavily processed food for me. My meat eating friends do a similar thing but also cook up a batch of ground chuck and/or bake or roast chicken/turkey. When you make it yourself, you control the additives and sodium.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I track mine constantly, even if I'm having a little bit of a cheat day! I don't react well to high sodium, makes me bloat and retain water like mad, then I get down because I feel horrible!