cheat day calories

Options
So I was curious about how your cheat day calories compare to your regular day calories. So far I've been focusing on just eating better and writing down my calories every day then average it out for the week. My highest day this week was 1880 and I'm trying to average 1500. Do you eat one nice meal or do you do a bit of extra snacking all day long? Do you try to keep a deficit or just cave to your cravings?

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My cheat days usually involve one unhealthy meal. I try to compensate by being extra healthy at other meals/doing an extra gym session, so most of the time my net calories are the same or a 100-200 higher max.

But there are other people on here who do a big calorie spike, and that's fine too. It's really up to you - whatever helps you stick it out the rest of the week.
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try for just one cheat meal also. I usually do it as a late dinner so the temptation to carry on with it is low.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I also try to get in some extra workout time when I know I'm going to be eating something a bit more decadent. That helps keep the spike a little less noticeable.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I try for just one cheat meal also. I usually do it as a late dinner so the temptation to carry on with it is low.

This. Eating a bit more at dinner helps keep me from late night snacking.
  • scrappergirl333
    scrappergirl333 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My cheat is usually one unhealthy meal. I try to make good choices with my other meals though.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Just remember that cheat days still count. It doesn't just go away. Rather, have a tasty day, a day where you eat something you really like or want but plan for it so you stay under your goal. It is called a CHEAT day after all and we don't want to cheat ourselves. This can set us back, especially if done weekly.
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do one cheat throughout the span of the week or a few days. I pay attention to my weekly average and work to make that balance. I have tried to keep my cheats within reason too, so that I am teaching myself how not to overindulge too much and I know what is an appropriate serving size for something like ice cream.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Today is my 'cheat/spike' whatever you want to call it. I am one of those that go all out. BUT I track everything! I may not feel guilt but that is in part due to the fact that I have to keep myself honest. I love my cheat days and find that they make a huge difference in re-setting my metabolism for the week. This is just my experience and while I know some are a little scared to try it (as was I), it's worth it, but you do have to find your comfort zone and what works for you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I eat everything that comes across my nose.
    Alive.
    Dead.
    Its all open game!
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Remember that nothing is out of the question when counting calories. When I want to eat something that's usually 'off the radar' - say, McDonalds - I go for an extra run, bike ride, Insanity Workout, etc. DO SOMETHING to get those calories back and then go easy before and after that meal on that day. You can actually go to those places and still be under your limit - as long as your limit isn't stupidly low which will only put your body into starvation mode - waiting for the meal you over eat - it'll just store all the extra calories it can - and then you take 2 steps back.

All that to say "Be careful with your cheat days."

Personally, I just stopped cheating because I wasn't going to get the results doing that weekly/monthly/bi-monthly. Doesn't mean I don't eat those foods - just means I plan it all out. Research the foods before you go and stick to the plan. You'll be thankful when you still see progress. I have been loving the progress because I know what I'm putting in the system.

Good luck!
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    I dont have cheat days , if i want something i just have it and make sure i count it in, i dont believe you should be depriving yourself if you need something, its learning to have it in moderation thats all.

Sometimes when i see how many calories its taken from my daily allowance i think twice before having it again, im hoping this gets better as time goes on .

Good Luck :-)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I want to..if it's just a meal then so be it, if I want to snack a little too, then I do. But I always do a little cardio that day too.