Running my first 10k HELP

Options
I am running my first 10k in 14 days !!!! I am an active long distance runner, run every day , 5k's for me are a piece of cake, way easy! My longest run was 80 minutes. I think i can go the distance but i am just scared. Ive been a runner for 1.5 years. My last 5k was in the fall, but i actively run everyday varying from 20-45 mins. I have 2 weeks to train . thinking of just doing long runs, fartleks, and tempos to log some serious mileage, then go into it like a champ!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan. As you know 5 and 10k races are more sprints than distance running so just make sure you puke at the finish or you didn't go hard enough
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    6 miles is no big deal. You'll nail it! Try to make your training routes destinations to places you enjoy. When I do 6 mile and 9 mile runs, I take myself across town to my favorite bakery and The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Get a little reward. Run home. Makes me very motivated to do long runs :)
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you ran 80min you can do 10k no problem! I'm an extremely slow runner (10min kilometer pace) and I did a 10k in 1:26. You probably ran farther than 10k in the 80 min. Just keep training 3-4 days a week until the race. You're going to have fun :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A piece of missing information - when you say you run 20-45 minutes, how far are you actually going on those runs? A good friend of mine (marathoner, Goofy runner) told me when I started training for distance that anything past mile 2 is mental. Not getting bored, keeping focus, blocking out the pain, those are the hardest parts of long runs (for me, in that order. and by "pain" I mean my legs saying, 'Hey! We're working down here! Are you *sure* this is a good idea?').

Most training plans have you only running speedwork once a week, which I don't think will help you much in the 2 weeks before raceday, so I would skip that in favor of some endurance work. Those same training plans will only have you running your full race distance once a week (actually significantly more than your race distance on a plan with enough time to develop). I think a couple easy runs in the 3-4 mile range during the week then plan an LSD for your 10K this weekend (what? You haven't done it today yet?!) and next with the race in 2 weeks, you should be OK. Make sure you give yourself enough time to rest before the race if you're not used to running that distance.

And hydrate!

And run well!

And, most importantly, have fun!!!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. Mostly, trust in your training and believe in yourself and, as above, have FUN! Absolutely no need to panic. It is all about enjoying yourself. I'd run at least one more 10K distance just to remind yourself that you can do it. Doesn't matter how fast you do it, just do it so your mind knows you can! Enjoy and don't panic.