Medication Adding the Pounds-Injuries and Surgery adding to

After a severe back injury and surgery my lifestyle completely changed. A few months ago my doctor switched my medication and over the course of 3 months I have gained 30 pounds. My physical activities are limited as well as the intensity that I can work out in the gym. I use a stationary recumbent bicycle on cardio mode 2 or 3 times a week to keep my heart rate about 120...any more then that and I feel the resistance starts hurting my back. With that I was still gaining weight. Over the past week I have been using this program and I believe that proper calorie counting is the only thing that is going to help me combat these meds and keep the pounds off. Anyone else with similar stories out there? Could really use the support. I am also a former Executive Chef (graduated from The Culinary Institute of America) and can give great coaching on cooking and recipes :-)

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Hello!

I can't say that I was in great shape before my injury ( ankle ) but I'm sure in worse shape after :-/

I put on 30 pounts this year after wrecking my ankle. I can do some cardio ( no elliptical, crossramp OK, bike OK, some weights OK ) but i'm having surgery #3 soon... and I really need to not put on 30 more pounds!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    I used to be a regular at the gym (5-6 days per week) prior to my car accident 5 years ago where I also suffered severe back injuries, which now have resulted in degenerative arthritis in my spine.

I ended up gaining 100 pounds, from lack of activity and medications, and water retention (reaction of pain meds to anethesia from surgery).

I've managed to lose about 55 of those pounds, but still have a ways to go...I have an elliptical that I use to exercise and I love it.

Feel free to friend me and I would love some hints on cooking, especially how to spice up steamed fish which I eat quite often... :flowerforyou: