bad day pls help!

Options
I want to know what everyone thinks. Yesterday I went way over my calories because me and my husband went out on a date. So can i make up for the calories by working out double today or just forget the day and start new today?

Replies

• pdiggitydogg
    Options
    My opinion would be depended on how you feel most importantly! If you went over your calories like by a significant amount then yea perhaps you would want to work out for sure today but mayby a bit more then you were planning to compensate. But, you are allowed to treat yourself and if it was outrageous hey?!? Just start fresh today and go with how you feel :)
    Don't beat yourself up :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hello, you look like you are new! Welcome! I so remember being frantic over every little blunder I made! In time you'll learn to relax.

My advice to you is to look at this as a process. It isn't a race, hopefully it is a lifestyle. Remember it takes 3500 calories to actually make a pound on your body. It is likely sugar and salt that have caused water retention.

You can choose to drink a little more water if you like as the sugar and salt will follow the water out of your body. You can do a little more exercise today if you like because after all it is the WEEKEND! Yea!!

Just follow your plan the best you can and work towards being consistent. You will lose weight according to how consistent you are with your plan. You'll see people losing weight a million different ways here. You have to decide your plan of action. So choose your plan and stay the course! You'll see good results, maybe not right away as your body fights you, but you will see good results over time.

Best of luck to you!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    just forget about it, lots of people have 'cheat' days (i do) that can be yours. just start fresh :)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would work out today, but I work out every day and the days that I know that i am eating out or may stray, I work out harder/longer, to account for the possiblity of extra calories. But honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it...if this is a lifestyle change for you then you have to realize that not ever day of your life is going to be perfect, and you have to be okay with that:) You just move on, today is a good day. Depending on what you ate and how much sodium you had, I would probably really try to push the water for sure and if you want to work out harder/longer then go for it. That's the beauty of it all, it's your life and your decision!!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Going over your calorie goal one day is not going to hurt you. If you continue over the next few days or weeks no exercise then yea it could be a problem. Don’t stress on one day leave it behind because there is so much ahead of you to achieve.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We have a cheat day every few weeks and that day/meal is out the window. Last night was that meal. Dominoes night. Today is a new day! Don't feel bad over something like that.
  • Tbowman30
    Tbowman30 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi!!! My advice would be to forget about yesterday, workout hard today and try to eat as clean as you can today. I used to think if i messed up i would just retrack it the next day......learned the hard way it doesnt work!!!! you'll be fine and we all have bad days so dont beat yourself up about it just move toward the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!!!:smile::smile:
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    gbelltx is right, one day is only one day out of 7! Don't beat yourself up about it. It's never good to be negative with yourself when you are trying to make changes in your life. Just keep going one day at a time, some will be good some not. The important thing is that you don't give up! I started back on MFP about 3 or 4 weeks ago, the first week I lost over 5 pounds, the second week I lost 3, this week I only lost .25 and was so upset about it because I was faithfully weighing everything, and logging everything. Then my friend said to me losing .25 is better than gaining .25 and she was absolutely right!
  • lmorris0466
    Options
    Did you have fun on your date? if yes, then not a bad day. You have to give yourself a break. Start again to and burn some extra calories. Remember the calories on the site are set for weigh loss. If you go over, you might be at a maintain level of calories. Not such a bad thing. Remember, you cannot let it rule your life. Just be conscious about your choice. Last night you chose to have a lovely evening with your hubby. As long as it is not every day, you will be just fine. Be Happy! Have a lovely day!
  • bmorton82
    bmorton82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hope you had a great date and I commend you on tracking, even if it meant going over your calorie intake. I, too, went over my calories by at least 500 - I had a night out with friends, drank more beers than I should have, but had a ton of fun with people that I love. We are human and can't be perfect!

For me, the reality hits when I commit to tracking everything and see just how quickly the calories add up - seeing the numbers jump is my motivation to be more mindful. :) Today I plan to workout as normal but maybe push a little harder. But, I'd suggest, like many others, to not get bogged because it is just one day. Recognize it, appreciate the dinner and time with your husband, see how maybe you can plan differently next time, and move forward!
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day! your going to see the repercussions for the next couple days but then you will get back on track. Dont sweat it honey it was 1 meal. Get back on the wagon today and dont look back! 1 day at a time.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I would not try and make up for it over one day, if anything either cut down very slightly on your food or push yourself a little harder with the exercise over the next week or so.

One nights break will not ruin a diet unless one night turns into one weekend that turns into one week that turns into one month etc.
  • amandabateman411
    Options
    Thank you guys! I got a big jug of water with me and I will just go back to what I was doing! I love this site there is so much support and help; it's great! I made my husband hide the scale from me for a month so I won't get discouraged if I go up and down a lil bit!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If it's something you can let go then i say don't worry about it. If it keeps eating at you, just put a lil extra umph behind today's workout. :)
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Girl..dont stress over it! You have a great night out with your hubby it sounds like...you can push yourself a little harder at the gym knowing you had those extra cals..or you could start over new today and push yourself to really follow your cals for the day..the best thing to do is to really not stress over the fact that you had a "cheat day" its okay everyone has them!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. So you flubbed yesterday. Next time, plan for the meal. Things like birthdays are easy to plan for because they're the same every year. There's a learning curve to this game, and you can't let every little setback get you down. Take it in stride and keep pressing forward. Maybe make your workout a little more vigorous or lengthen the time, but no need to try to make up for yesterday.
  • katrinaloveslunar
    Options
    When I have a bad day, I look at my weekly summary. It always makes me feel better. One day I went 2000 calories over, but I was still under for the week! Some days we're under. Somedays we're over. As long as your trend is healthy, you'll be healthy! :o)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Youll be fine! If you had a lot of sodium, drink more water today to help flush it out. Otherwise, you realize you slipped up and have learned from your mistake. Today IS a new day and you will do better. Don't make a habit out of 'bad days' for obvious reasons but you are strong and dedicated and can do this! <hugs> Next time, if you can, try and plan what you'll be eating before you go out. That seems to help me! Good luck!