Anyone have a good Yoga DVD for athletes?

Options
Hi all,

I own a few Yoga DVDs but feel I haven't hit the jackpot yet. I'd love to find one that primarily focuses on stretches for athletes. My legs are always tight, so I love moves that stretch out hamstrings, quads, IT band, glutes, etc. But the DVDs I have seem to either be too mellow (more focused on relaxation) or too focused on strengthening. I tend to do yoga after a cardio/strength workout, so my legs are already like jelly, and I'm really looking to stretch vs strengthen at that point. Appreciate any suggestions!!

Replies

• jddykstra
    jddykstra Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been looking for something similar for a few weeks. I've looked at so many different Yoga Dvd's on amazon... I was initially going to buy Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior, but the reviews made me rethink that. I finally came upon this one: The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: A Personalized Practice for Strength, Flexibility, and Focus and after reading the reviews I bought it - seriously, 5 minutes ago.

From the reviews, I understand that you can customize your workouts and choose to work specific parts - hamstrings, it bands, etc. Its pricey ($26, yikes), but it sounded like everything I was looking for. I wanted something as challenging as p90x yoga, but not as long, and I wanted something that wasn't super traditional or too fusion-esque or integrated (like Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown, which I own). I own several yoga dvd's too and I've yet to find one that I love - although I really like p90x yoga, but its 90 minutes!
  • jkb1129
    jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I saw the athlete's guide to yoga but the price tag made me hesitate - I'd really like to know what you think of it after you get it and try it out. It seemed to be the closest thing to what I'm looking for (and if I recall it got good reviews on Amazon). So, if it's something I'll use a lot, it's definitely worth the $$.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yoga-X or fountain of youth yoga!
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump, interested in this topic as well as I've looked at the thousands of dVD's on amazon as well and haven't settled on one yet.
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a big yoga fan and my favorite yoga dvd that would fit what you're describing is by The Firm. It's designed to stretch you back out after their hard core workouts so it is focused on the stretching more than relaxation. You still get a nice light work out though. I have the older fit & firm series power yoga. I see on amazon there's a newer version (or maybe it's the same with a new cover) with the same instructor. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Firm-Power-Kristen-Strohecker/dp/B000FZETUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331906887&sr=8-1
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the Yoga X from the P90X program is probably good for you. It's 90 minutes long, though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are several titles on Amazon that "appear" to focus on athletes. I'm a real novice to yoga so I don't have any experience with these.

Christine Felstead Yoga for Runners

Rodney Yee Yoga Conditioning for Athletes

Sage Rountree Athletes Guide to Yoga

Power Yoga for Athletes by Adrienne Reed
  • jkb1129
    jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for these great suggestions - I think I have a few to check out! :smile:
  • jddykstra
    jddykstra Posts: 19
    Options
    JKB - just wanted to report that the Athlete's Yoga dvd that I referenced above is not really what I was looking for. It is not really conducive for an actual yoga workout because it is segmented. So if you go with the preset 45 minute workout, it is really made up of several of the individual segments, which really kind of disturbs the flow of the yoga workout. You can, however, choose to customize your workout and mix and match whatever segments you like... so I plan to use this dvd in that way - as a way to stretch certain areas that feel tight. Not as a workout necessarily, but as a guided stretch after running (do the IT band, hamstring, and spine segments for example).