That Crazy Scale

Options
So, I didnt know where else to post this... But lately it seems like I'm afraid of the scale! I know that sounds silly, but I don't want to be one of those girls who has to weigh herself twice a day and ever half a pound i gain or lose drives me crazy (because I know it would) Anyways, with that tought in mind, I've kind of been wanting to weigh myself just to see if I've made anymore progress. The only thing is that there's this little voice in my head screaming "NO! DONT DO IT! You'll have gained all the weight back! Don't look for the love of Peaches!!!"
Does anyone else have this problem? Or have you had it and gotten over it? if so.. Please tell me how? Because everytime I walk into the bathroom the stupid scale taunts me :|

I'm sure the best bet is to just get on the scale and shut up, but all the same....

Replies

• staystrong365
    staystrong365 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Remember that scale weight is everything, both fat mass and everything else. Hydration status will certainly effect it as well as menstrual cycles (I would suggest not even checking during your cycle). I tell clients that scale wt is simply ONE tool to gauge progress. If you are doing any consistent and progressive strength training, this will also tend to move the scale UP as you consistently add small percentages of muscles mass.
    So....use the mirror, use how your clothes fit, use the scale and if you have access to someone who can do skin fold thickness measurements and/or a bio electric impedance analysis (estimate of bodyfat percentage), I would use all of those to measure progress.

Scale weight is simply one number, in the grand experiment you are undertaking. If it is heading in the wrong direction, simply make some food intake changes and move on for another week.

You have to tell yourself it's simply a number, measuring everything. It's just a number. It's just a number. I will tell you this, after 30 years of working with myself and with clients, some days it goes up or down by a pound or two.......and there is absolutely no reason why, that I can ascertain, why it did that. It's a fickle number, treat it as such.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have challenged myself to not use my scale for 1 month so that I can spend less time worrying about numbers and more time focusing. So far so good but its been tough. I'm a scale *kitten*.
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some shock therapy is in order.

Weigh yourself for 2 weeks on the hour every hour you're awake. Track it. Chart it on graph paper.

I did that in high school. I was shocked to see how that number varied... I had 15 - 20 lbs variations over the course of a few days! I think the most was 7 lbs within one day.

Now I weigh a few times a day. I know exactly how to make that scale move, both up and down. It doesn't really bother me at all. For me the main place I watch is the fit of my clothes. The scale is an early warning sign but holds no fear.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week now. Also, I do measurements. I gained almost 2lbs last week (which was annoying), but I lost inches. Many things can make you gain weight. Not only that but I've been building muscle which is more dense than fat. If I really felt like weighing myself in the middle of the week, I might just do it, after I at least try to talk myself out of it. No sense in making yourself crazy ;)