Mexican Food.

shammxo
shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
My friend wants to get mexican for dinner tonight. I've been turning down dinner invitations to places I can't find nutritional info on lately, but he's only in town til tomorrow... What can I get that is low in calories and fat and won't make me feel all guilty for eating?

Replies

• ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Maybe if they have some grilled chicken fajitas with grilled veggies, that would be relatively decent for you. At least better than all the fried tortillas and cheese covered stuff. My biggest problem is the free chips and salsa...that kills me every time!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Taco salads aren't too bad if you don't eat the shell :)
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Grilled shrimp tacos with pico de gallo instead of cheese.
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    if you browse the food data base here for stuff like chicken fajitas, you will see you can do fine without wrecking your average--2 small corn tortillas are typically listed at under 100 calories, and if you concentrate on using the pico sauces with fresh onion, tomatoes, and cilantro and avoid adding sour cream or cheese to them you will be fine. It's those free chips that get me!
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Live a little! It's one meal! And this post has also made me crave some Mexican food lol.

I get beef fajita tacos on corn if I'm going low cal.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Thank you guys!!! I'll definitely look into the fajitas. No cheese, no sour cream.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Chicken tamales aren't too bad on the calories if you only have a couple. Stay away from the pork tamales. Steer clear of flour tortillas and opt for corn tortillas if you really need tortillas. Take advantage of salsa and pico de gallo to add spice with very minimal calories. Ask the waiter to bring extras of these so that you have them readily available to pour over rice/chicken. The rice, mixed with pico and salsa, will help fill you up. Steer clear of queso and meat-inclusive sauces, Grilled chicken fajitas, without, the tortillas and eating the grilled fajita veggies with some rice and salsa will let you enjoy the evening without feeling guilty about it. If you have some extra calories left over, say around 160-180, you can even partake of some chips with your salsa ... about 12-18. Take them out of the basket, count them out on a plate, and break them into smaller pieces, making sure to put lots of salsa into each bite. This will keep you from going through half a basket before you realize it and the extra salsa and extra chewing will help keep your mind and stomach engaged, with minimal consequences, until the main course gets there.
  • sweetgrl2087
    sweetgrl2087 Posts: 25 Member
    I typically order soft shells with grilled/ or the shredded chicken....I am not big on tamale's or anything like that so I keep it simple. And if I order rice with it, I will only eat what looks like a 1 cup to me. And take the rest home. I think everything is fine in moderation or portion control. And what kills me too is the chips/salsa and I am always tempted to get the queso dip! Lol
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Salad, dressing on the side, hold the chips/cheese/sour cream

Or get tacos in corn tortillas with a side of black beans
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Grilled Chicken
    Wholegrain Tortillas (If that's an option)
    Plenty of veg
    Try to not to reach for the creamy sauces and go for salsa instead
    If you love cheese don't have too much or find something that has a healthier cheese option

You could always ask what ingredients they put in the food you are about to order that way you can tell him/her to eliminate any ingredients you don't want.

If they have wedges, ask if they baked without oils and such, just have a few.