Bike advice - any recommendations for a first bike?

Options
I've decided I'd like to learn to ride a bike (never learnt when I was little as I grew up on a very busy road with sedentary, risk-averse parents!).
So I need to get a bike. I've had a look on the web and I think I should get a hybrid or a comfort bike. I'd like to be able to ride on roads and also cycle paths/fairly easy trails. Not sure how far I'm planning to ride yet!
I'm in the UK, female, 5'3", reasonably fit - does anyone have any suggestions for what bike might suit me, and how much I can expect to spend? I'm planning to go to my local bike shop rather than a chain. And is there anything else I need apart from a helmet?
Cheers!

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    At your height, I assume you have a petite frame, so I'd recommend getting a bike with womens specific geometry. The frame will be designed to suit your proportions better than a standard bike.
    Other than that, I'd just say get something light, so it's easy to handle as you're a beginner.

You can spend as much or as little as you want, but to start with i would try and keep it to no more than say £300, until you know you can do it and enjoy it. If you get hooked, you may find yourself drooling over the latest £5,000 carbon fibre beast, but that can come later.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yay! Biking is so much fun! I am also 5'3", hybrid is the perfect choice. I have a Specialized Crossroads bike (under $500) and I love it. I don't know what your budget is or if Specialized brand bikes are available in the UK but I mine is great.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm off to the bike shop tomorrow, wish me luck!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Got one! Raleigh Women's Urban 2 - more than I was planning to spend, but can't wait to get out there and get started!
    Tell you what though, you would think I was the shortest person ever to enter Halfords and ask to buy a bike...they looked at me and said 'Sorry, we just don't build them that small'
    !
    Thank heavens for local independent bike shops!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Good stuff!

Independents are definitely the way to go, compared to places like Halfords.

Hope you enjoy the riding!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    i would definitely suggest a comfy padded seat. I just started riding my bike that I bought years ago and my rear hurts really bad whenever I sit the following day or 2. I really need a more comfortable seat for sure. I normally go on about a 45 minute bike ride so its a long time on that seat.