Running fitness - help needed!

Options
Hi all,

I have recently started running regularly and am now doing 5k in 30 minutes about 4 times a week. However, I want to increase my fitness and pump it up a step. So here's my question - what's better? Do I focus on running for longer but maybe a little slower OR do I keep running for 30 minutes but try and increase my speed?

Any help appreciated! Thanks all. x

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How about a mixture of the 2.

If you look at most training plans you'll see that you do different runs during the week. For example my half marathon plan calls for an easy 5k run on Tuesdays, a tempo run (building speed by going at race pace) on Thursdays, an easy run on Saturdays and my LSD (not the drug - my long slow distance) on Sundays to build endurance.
  • gracie_23
    gracie_23 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for your help - that's a good idea. I'm going to try and focus on that this week and hopefully can work up to running a 10k soon!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What Brian said. Mix it up a bit. Have some longer, slower runs, some shorter, faster runs. Add some hills and trails, too. Wooded trails WITH hills is my favorite, because I'm focusing so much on making sure I put my foot in a safe place that I don't even notice the incline... if I'm running up a hilly street and can SEE the incline, I swear the road gets longer and steeper as I run up it! :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    What Brian said. Mix it up a bit. Have some longer, slower runs, some shorter, faster runs. Add some hills and trails, too. Wooded trails WITH hills is my favorite, because I'm focusing so much on making sure I put my foot in a safe place that I don't even notice the incline... if I'm running up a hilly street and can SEE the incline, I swear the road gets longer and steeper as I run up it! :laugh:

Hills are torture! (but great for speed training)
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for your help - that's a good idea. I'm going to try and focus on that this week and hopefully can work up to running a 10k soon!

Take your time building up the distances. The conventional (and conservative) approach is to not increase your total distance by more that 10% per week, if you're running 20km now the next week you could go to 22km and so on. You don't need to split up the extra distance equally (and this starts allowing you to vary your runs) for example next week you might want to do 2 x 5k and 2 x 6k and gradually add distance to your longer runs.

10k is a fun distance, you can fit the training into even a fairly busy schedule but it's still quite challenging. If you're looking for training plans check out runnersworld.com - they have great ones that are free.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great advice in this thread to follow!

Personally, I have found intervals to work great for me when attempting to increase my speed. You have a good base with which to work....30 minutes. Work in some timed intervals within that 30 minutes. EX. 5 minute warm up at an easy pace then 1 minute at just over or at your anticipated race pace followed by 4 minute at easy or recovery pace. Repeat 4 more times. You can play with your pace and the length and frequency of your intervals as you feel comfortable. You will find that your distance will gradually increase within that 30 minute period! :)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Double Post
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    I struggle between the two.

I love getting faster but I crave the distances.

I run 5-6 days a week. I have a 3.3 mile loop with 1 huge hill and several smaller ones that I run when I am doing speed work.

Then, I have lots of other runs I do for distance. Every time I run I try to get a better time then the last wether its 3 miles or 9.

I kinda tackle it all at the same time (Speed, distance and hills) and one of the three variables is bound to make me feel

successful at the end of the run.

P.S. I do the 3.3 mile loop about once a week. I try to do longer runs cause I want the calores to eat! :laugh:

exercise.png
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    Options
    Hiya,

Take your time building up the distances. The conventional (and conservative) approach is to not increase your total distance by more that 10% per week, if you're running 20km now the next week you could go to 22km and so on. You don't need to split up the extra distance equally (and this starts allowing you to vary your runs) for example next week you might want to do 2 x 5k and 2 x 6k and gradually add distance to your longer runs.

10k is a fun distance, you can fit the training into even a fairly busy schedule but it's still quite challenging. If you're looking for training plans check out runnersworld.com - they have great ones that are free.

FYI, I went from 0-18-25 miles in three weeks
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I prefer a nice mix of both, as well.

Generally, I'll have one run a week where I'll aim for 2-4 miles, depending on if I'm training for a race or just getting out for a good workout, and I'll head to a track and work intervals, where I'll do .25 of a mile at harder effort (like huffing and puffing, but not flat-out sprinting), and then do .3 or .4 of a mile at a moderate jog, then pick back up to harder effort for another .25, and continue until I hit my goal mileage of 2-4, flat-out sprinting for the last .15 to .25 of the mile.

At least one time a week, sometimes more, depending on what I've been doing for cross-training, I'll pick a route with hills, so I can work different muscles, and push endurance threshold.

And then I'll pick routes for easier long runs that are usually trails, because those offer varied terrain, yet I can adjust my speed for easier runs, if that's what I feel like.

And when I add miles on my weeks, I don't actually look at the numbers, I go with what I feel up to doing. Which means that some weeks I'll add several miles to my total, others I'll only do one. Really depends on how I feel, but following my body has worked really well in gauging how I'll adjust to the added miles.

I would try a combination of both at the beginning, to see how you like it, and then go with what feels best for you. You'll find a preference soon enough. :smile: