How to tone?

Options
I am very close to my goal weight, however I still feel like I look the same just a small version. I still have love handles, a small tummy pooch and bigger butt/thighs. Does anybody have tips for shaping my body? I just don't feel or look toned. I do work out, cardio and weight lifting (as heavy as I can) , and stay within my allotted calories. Any help would be much appreciated. I am also open for friend invites.

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: 1st before some one gets all butt hurt on the word "tone"
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Is tone a bad word? What would be better, shape up? Slim down? I don't know.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

New Rules of Lifting for Women book is excellent.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Is tone a bad word? What would be better, shape up? Slim down? I don't know.

Nah just there are some anal people here that dont like slag terms and they actually take the time to spam other peoples threads to rant about it.. haha

Anyways I cannot see your diary but honestly carbs and fat do not build muscle, protein builds muscle. Maybe you can custom your diary and lower your carbs, fat and up your protein but keeping the same overall cals. and try that for a start. Average natural body builders can get 1/2 lb of lean muscle a week so you can see how long it can take to regrow. But your lifting heavy so this is good. My advice is more protein.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

Great book, great advice.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Small calorie deficit (definitely not more than 0.5 pounds a week), one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (not total body weight), keep lifting heavy, and add a heaping helping of time and patience. :wink:
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

just started reading this and am obsessed with it!!!
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definitely check the new rules book out!
  • mikenanfrop1
    Options
    If you are looking to get muscled up then yes you lift heavy but if you are trying to "tone" then high reps of lighter weights is what is needed. If you want to build strength and gain muscle then the best way to do it is when you do your weightlifting exercises do 80-85% of the heaviest weight you can do one rep of. Build your program on this and do 6-8 reps and 3 sets then gradually build. Yes, protein helps to build lean muscle. Good luck.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    If you are looking to get muscled up then yes you lift heavy but if you are trying to "tone" then high reps of lighter weights is what is needed. If you want to build strength and gain muscle then the best way to do it is when you do your weightlifting exercises do 80-85% of the heaviest weight you can do one rep of. Build your program on this and do 6-8 reps and 3 sets then gradually build. Yes, protein helps to build lean muscle. Good luck.

this would be the post that gets flamed... welcome to MFP :)
  • elenabab
    elenabab Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been getting a lot of toning exercises from fitnessmagazine.com (no charge)
    I knew some exercises from doing video workouts in the past, but I try to change up my routine, and I have liked and seen good results from their glute workout - the three part one: lift it, shrink it and trim it. Also really like the curtesy squats.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options

This is crap advice. Sorry, but it's completely untrue. Low weights for high reps does nothing. Women who lift are incapable of bulking due to hormones, but it will give you the "toned" look most women are seeking. Those that do look bulky lift 4564828 hours a week at the gym and take "supplements".

The New Rules book discusses this at length.
  • mikenanfrop1
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by " flamed "
  • mikenanfrop1
    Options
    Well I have been in martial arts and weight training for over 30 years and have trained both men and woman but I am sure you have more of a take on this subject than I.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    Well I have been in martial arts and weight training for over 30 years and have trained both men and woman but I am sure you have more of a take on this subject than I.

Ahhh that explains it. The advice of low weight high reps is about 30 years old and getting "bulky" is 30 years old. In my profession, keeping current on research is mandatory. It should be for trainers too.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

This is crap advice. Sorry, but it's completely untrue. Low weights for high reps does nothing. Women who lift are incapable of bulking due to hormones, but it will give you the "toned" look most women are seeking. Those that do look bulky lift 4564828 hours a week at the gym and take "supplements".

saying high reps does nothing is a bit of a reach as well. It might not produce the "tone" that people expect. But high volume now and then is not detrimental. It helps with stamina/endurance as well as the tendons and joints.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will definitely check the new rules book out!

Be sure to take progress photos from every angle. Changes happen gradually and are hard to see in the mirror, and the scale might not do much, either.
  • badgerbadger1
    Options

saying high reps does nothing is a bit of a reach as well. It might not produce the "tone" that people expect. But high volume now and then is not detrimental. It helps with stamina/endurance as well as the tendons and joints.

Yes that's true, but it, as we both said, does nothing to give the look of being "toned", thus my response.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY! Best way ever to sculpt that body. YOU WILL NOT BULK!!!
  • Ninikins2
    Options
    Good idea. I'm a little embarrassed to take some pics now, but I will so I can see the difference.