Paleo/Primal Diet: Enough calories

Options
snowbab
snowbab Posts: 192 Member
I am on a paleo diet (but with the occasional dairy so maybe more primal) and i am loving it. However most days I struggle to get enough calories in. My BMR is 1470 and I usually aim for 1500 net. This is so difficult I find. E.g. today it's almost 9pm and i have eaten 1000 calories and I don't see how I can eat enough now?

Any high calorie ideas? I have already eaten lots of nuts/ nut butters most days and I don't want TOO much fat. Also I was thinking a banana, but I'm already at 60g carbs? Am I just being too strict maybe? :S

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Nuts have a lot of calories, and they don't take mush effort to eat either. Keep a few granola bars in handy too! :)
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, okay. Just re-read the 'enough nuts' part. How about any drinks? If you like fruit juices/energy drinks...those can give you the calories you need without getting too much..
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Might sound stupid but what actually is the paleo diet? :blushing:
  • snowbab
    Options
    Hmm there's alot of sugar and carbs in most fruit juices unfortunately :/ And fruit has lots of carbs too even though they're allowed. How many carbs do other paleo dieters allow themselves a day in the form of fruit and veg?
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    How about a pork chop!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    half an avocado and a can of oil packed tuna, heavy cream over raspberries (some of the lower carb/sugar fruit), eggs (not all of these things mixed together obviously!!!). don't worry about the fat. I eat primal and I am usually between 75-100g of carbs a day. My percentages are about 25 carbs, 25 protein, 50 fat.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I read the "Primal Blueprint". I don't eat that way, just isn't for me. In his book he actually recommends a fairly high fat intake, like 100 g or so to make up the necessary amount of calories. He also recommends 75 grams of carbs for maximum weight loss. I believe it was 125 g for maintenance. So I would suggest eating more nuts/butters, avocado, oils etc.

You have to make up the calories some where when you are restricting a certain macro nutrient.
  • snowbab
    Options
    Thanks :) I'll stop worrying so much about the fat intake then (as long as it's goo fat!) and I'm going to buy tuna in oil instead of salt water as it's abut 100 more calories :D