Stress & Weight

Options
Can stress really make a person gain weight? Or make it hard to lose weight? I think that may be my issue.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Stress releases more cortisol, too much cortisol can slow down your metabolism. Prolonged stress can also affect blood sugar levels and, for many people, stress is relieved (at least temporarily) by consumption of whatever your comfort food is.
  • JENNIBABE08
    Options
    Ok so I just have to get unstressed? Or how can I stop this?
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

The best thing is to work out why you are stressed, and what actions you can take to eliminate the stressful thing from your life.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Go for a run? Works for me anyway........(my wife suggested getting a punching bag and pretending it's your boss/your husband/that annoying neighbour.........I'm a little worried about the husband comment :happy: )
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I gained 3 stone because of stress at uni because my way to feel better was to eat. Now I exercise! running helps me with stress and I hate running!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Bump! Really curious for others thoughts on this...I've been working out and eating right for over 2 months and haven't dropped at all...and my stress level at work has been through the roof.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am battling the same issue now. I am so stressed out, and for good reason. The problem is it interferes with my desire to do things, including exercise and eating healthy foods. So far I haven't quit my diet but I haven't exercised hardly at all.

I have to get off this hamster wheel! Or back on...you know what I mean :)
  • JENNIBABE08
    Options
    haha sounds like a perfect idea and it's (soon to be ex husband) so don't worry too much :wink: \

excerise does always help relieve stress though you are right!! But It is harder to get the motivation.
  • alexiaschulz
    alexiaschulz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The problem is it interferes with my desire to do things, including exercise and eating healthy foods

Mmmmm, careful, sounds like the blues or maybe mild depression. I'd say worry less about getting on the hamster wheel and do something active that also connects with people. Go for a walk with a friend, or hold each others feet while you do situps. But trying to flog yourself into being motivated when you're down is a good recipe for getting more down. At least for me it is.

Take a break, this might help you more (and stick to that diet, good job!).
  • amccook11
    amccook11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the link between stress and weight gain. I have gained probably pounds since my graduation of college. Whether family, grad school, and relationship. I tried picking up kickboxing but it didn't help and I see why. My stress turned into depression which manifest into emotionally eating and not working. Mostly what I was eating was process foods so yea 70 dollar for 6 months for no weight-loss was upsetting. However, I realized I needed to figure out the stress eliminate it and learn to develop better coping mechanism. I make more time for myself and do yoga. Also, I started to use the calorie count and can feel a difference. My mother even notice my waist was getting smaller (sign of weight-loss). The lesson to learn with the weight-loss journey is to remember it's all about your physical, mental, and spiritual health. To maintain that health you must have a balance because when the balance is thrown off there can be serious consequences lol. 30 pounds in 2 1/2 months here I come
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm always stressed at college. Everyday it's something else, but working out has really helped keep me going and make me have more energy throughout the day. Or just sit in silence maybe 10-20 minutes a day and just chill out without distractions.
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    haha sounds like a perfect idea and it's (soon to be ex husband) so don't worry too much :wink: \

excerise does always help relieve stress though you are right!! But It is harder to get the motivation.

it so is, but just keep thinking about the road ahead and looking and feeling great everytime. i have to force myself to the gym most of the time. once i'm there i'm fine, it's just the process of going there that is a pain lol