Proteins (Whey versus Soy)

Options
2»

Replies

• Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I JUST STARTED on the Whey and love it! I usually mix it with 1/2 banana, and 2Tbs os grpound flax. Delicious and beneficial for my age. Mix with l cup of vanilla lite Soy.Soy for estrogen. Flax for omega properties. Ah yes also noticing soy has more calcium than milk. Also noticed my energy levels have inceased thru the whle day!

Hope this helps you. You may friend me if you like. :)'
    "
  • hockey1nana
    Options
    I use a whey protein shake which gives me 23 g of proteins for one drink. Add Almond milk to this and two fruits, and you have a delicious shake which is very filling, and gets me through 3/4 hours. Almost a meal replacement.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Def. NOT soy!! Stay away! more than 90% of soy is GMO! Stay away!!

WHAT IS GMO?....Soy has been a good trade off for me as well I have milk only in cereal but cant stand to drink it..

genetically modified organism (GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered... SCARY STUFF!!!

I don't do any soy either. I LOVE, LOVE almond breeze. It is 100% soy and dairy free. It has more vitamin D then regular milk and I like the taste.

I do Whey protein shakes every morning for breakfast and sometimes one after dinner too. It helps your muscles repair themselves after a work out, but it is a great meal replacement as well. It is a very, very lean source of protein. It should not make you gain weight. :-)

To be clear - I only replace the breakfast with the shake. I only do it because I am not a big breakfast fan so it works well for me. I skipped breakfast for over 20 years. I just started using the protein shakes since focusing on my health since I know skipping breakfast is not a good idea. :-)
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to personal preference. The biggest factor is probably the taste, lol. If you have an allergy to whey or soy, there are alternatives such as casein, hemp, pea, egg, and brown rice protein. Like some people said, a lot of soy is GMO; I have a soy protein powder than is organic and non-GMO. I also use a whey powder. I alternate between them depending on what I'm eating or what is best included in my macros for the day.

Protein is an important part of the diet. Don't be afraid of weight gain - you're not going to bulk up just by drinking a protein shake. They're also pretty filling - try making a smoothie and add in a scoop of protein powder (vanilla or strawberry flavoured would probably be your best bet here). One thing I love to have for breakfast is "protein oatmeal" - I make plain oatmeal, add in a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a bit in cinnamon, a bit of splenda, and voila; it tastes like an oatmeal cookie, especially if you added raisins. I usually have 1-2 scoops of protein powder a day, depending on my schedule, as I find it easier to drink a small glass than it is to eat a big chicken breast for the same amount of protein.

The bottom line, really, is what you prefer. If you have health problem or reason to avoid soy, then use whey. I have always found whey to taste better, as well as being easier to mix into a shake. Try out a few and see what you like, because again, taste is probably the biggest factor. Some powders can be delicious, others outright nasty.